Banana Cake Help :)

kween2, Jun 6, 2:26am
Hi everyone,

I'm making a banana cake and only have newly ripe, yellow bananas. I usually make them using overripe, brown bananas but don't have any on hand. Will it affect the taste at all? Also, any tips on giving my cake that extra oomph? I make banana cake quite often as it's my Dad's favourite, but today is that extra bit special as it's his birthday.

Thanks in advance :)

marcs, Jun 6, 2:50am
should not make a difference.

kinna54, Jun 6, 6:07am
Shouldn't make too much difference, mash them really well, and add an extra one, just to ensure moistness.

tinkagirl, Jun 6, 7:08am
I have a really nice, banana/chocolate/ yogurt cake recipe if you want me to post it!!

ravenraye, Jun 6, 7:40am
Hi kween 2,

The following recipe is from TM trader mackenzie2. I made it last week. See my notes at the end:

SOUR CREAM BANANA CAKE Beat 3 eggs, 1.5 cups sugar, then add 1/2 cup cheap oil and 3/4 cup sour cream & 3 ripe bananas beat all, then add 2 cups white flour 1.5 tsp of baking powder and 1 tsp baking soda Beat till nice and smooth bake 170 degrees for 1 hr I ice with white and dark choc I make this at work and it is the most requested of all, keeps really well I double and put one in the freezer. Enjoy. Sorry left out some info...I bake mine in either a high sided 22inch tin or if I want to strech the servings in a larger square

mackenzie2

It's a really good recipe, a bit different, with no butter. The only change I made was to cut the sugar by a third, using one cup. Still tasted really good
and it wasn't sickly sweet. It makes a large cake. Also I 'invented' an icing which worked out well as I didn't have any cocoa. I used two heaped tablespoons of Milo, added large teaspoon ground coffee, used the usual melted butter and a little hot water, and the last of the sour cream from the 250g pack.This was successful too.

Good luck with your baking !!

kween2, Jun 6, 8:18am
Thanks everyone for the replies!

I made it with the ripe bananas and it came out just as moist as when I use overripe ones. I'm pretty chuffed about that! I did mash it more than I usually would so that definitely helped.

Also, thank you very much ravenraye, that recipe sounds fab and will be trying that next weekend. @tinkagirl, I would love your recipe, too!

Cheers again :)

tiptoe64, Jun 7, 12:02am
i chuck my bananas in frezzer skin on it seemed to ripen them up.

floralsun, Jun 7, 1:02am
You can add a teaspoon of ground coffee or cocoa powder - enhances the flavour just a little without changing the taste much.

babytears, Jun 7, 1:05am
If I have it on hand I use banana essence instead of vanilla.... enhances the flavour

kween2, Jun 7, 2:26am
Hi everyone,

I'm making a banana cake and only have newly ripe, yellow bananas. I usually make them using overripe, brown bananas but don't have any on hand. Will it affect the taste at all! Also, any tips on giving my cake that extra oomph! I make banana cake quite often as it's my Dad's favourite, but today is that extra bit special as it's his birthday.

Thanks in advance :)

kinna54, Jun 7, 6:07am
Shouldn't make too much difference, mash them really well, and add an extra one, just to ensure moistness.

tinkagirl, Jun 7, 7:08am
I have a really nice, banana/chocolate/ yogurt cake recipe if you want me to post it!

ravenraye, Jun 7, 7:40am
Hi kween 2,

The following recipe is from TM trader mackenzie2. I made it last week. See my notes at the end:

SOUR CREAM BANANA CAKE Beat 3 eggs, 1.5 cups sugar, then add 1/2 cup cheap oil and 3/4 cup sour cream & 3 ripe bananas beat all, then add 2 cups white flour 1.5 tsp of baking powder and 1 tsp baking soda Beat till nice and smooth bake 170 degrees for 1 hr I ice with white and dark choc I make this at work and it is the most requested of all, keeps really well I double and put one in the freezer. Enjoy. Sorry left out some info.I bake mine in either a high sided 22inch tin or if I want to strech the servings in a larger square

mackenzie2

It's a really good recipe, a bit different, with no butter. The only change I made was to cut the sugar by a third, using one cup. Still tasted really good
and it wasn't sickly sweet. It makes a large cake. Also I 'invented' an icing which worked out well as I didn't have any cocoa. I used two heaped tablespoons of Milo, added large teaspoon ground coffee, used the usual melted butter and a little hot water, and the last of the sour cream from the 250g pack.This was successful too.

Good luck with your baking !

kween2, Jun 7, 8:18am
Thanks everyone for the replies!

I made it with the ripe bananas and it came out just as moist as when I use overripe ones. I'm pretty chuffed about that! I did mash it more than I usually would so that definitely helped.

Also, thank you very much ravenraye, that recipe sounds fab and will be trying that next weekend. @tinkagirl, I would love your recipe, too!

Cheers again :)

babytears, Jun 8, 1:05am
If I have it on hand I use banana essence instead of vanilla. enhances the flavour

lythande1, Jun 8, 6:11am
yep. I found it isn't quite as flecked - with black as with the overripe, but still good.

lythande1, Jun 9, 6:11am
yep. I found it isn't quite as flecked - with black as with the overripe, but still good.