Recipes good for posting/courier? Help please

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 5, 9:51pm
Hi guys i have just received a request from my cheeky uncle in bluff requesting chocolate fudge to be sent down. I have a great recipe for fudge but wondered what else i can bake to send down as a large amount of my family live down there and my cousin has just had a baby.

Has anyone posted baking through the mail? what did you send?

Thought if i was sending fudge down i may as well send a heap of baking for everyone :)

uli, Jun 5, 9:57pm
Best thing to send are undecorated things, like loaves or biscuits etc, which will not stick to the packaging and are solid enough to be packaged with some stuffing around them so they do not break up into bits.

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 5, 9:59pm
thanks uli ive never posted baking before so all new to me. i guessed that cakes and muffins wouldnt be very well posted. going to be achallenge i think :)

uli, Jun 5, 10:31pm
Basically anything that you would keep (unrefrigerated) for a week or so would work if it is "solid" enough to not crumble.
Good luck!

cookessentials, Jun 5, 10:34pm
I courier any baking I do, rather than sending through the post. Have sent my lemon yoghurt cake with no problems, just make sure they are firmly packed.

pamellie, Jun 5, 10:35pm
I've posted cakes and biscuits to my daughter and never had any complaints. Just wrap well, I do cakes in gladwrap and bag up the biscuits and then pack well in a cardboard box with lots of shredded paper.

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 5, 11:09pm
oh great thanks for the tips .

evorotorua, Jun 11, 1:10am
I have sent cakes too. Normally I also make a bag of icing and they can ice it once they get it. Little tart type things are nice too like Nut Pies, pack well. Just had another idea, you could make up the premix of ingredients and include instructions for adding a couple of eggs, oil and they can bake it fresh. Nothing like a cheeky uncle is there! Don't expect it to be cheap to post. You may wonder why you bother but know that the recipient will think it priceless.

juliewn, Jun 11, 10:50am
Hi.. I've sent baking too.. and was going to post your suggestion of the 'Recipe in a Jar' way of sending the ingredients too Erica.. and a note saying what to add, to make fresh goodies - have sent those to Aussie and Canada too..

More ideas are online for the 'Recipe in a Jar'

I use three layers of plastic wrap around baking, then bubble-wrap, then in a box with the sides supported by either other packages, or some extra cardboard. Bubble wrap top and bottom too works well..

I'd send via courier too..

Your family will love their parcel.. especially if it's a surprise.. very exciting for them to open and enjoy :-)

gojojo2, Jun 11, 11:13am
OK all...can I give you my address as a sampler? Lol - good on you for sending your goodies...keep up the great work

calista, Jun 12, 5:14am
I send Christmas pud and cake to the North Isand from Christchurch every year by fast post.No problems, but it's expensive.

buzzy110, Jun 12, 5:59am
You might want to consider using disposable cooking 'tins' as well so that the baked goods have a nice 'sturdy', correctly shaped container already, before you even start packaging them. tinfoil loaf tins and the corrugated cake tins would be ideal.

mackenzie2, Jun 12, 6:15am
I often send baking to my sons when it is there "Birthday shout" I just fill a container firmly with 3-4 types of slices and clip the lid down, into a courier bag and it is there the next day, I leave the slices uncut, and have never had any probs with things breaking up..
I usually send an Oaty caramel slice/ a belgium square/ a citris slice/ a chocolate & peppermint slice...

mackenzie2, Jun 12, 6:16am
I cook my slices in expandable tins so I make them to fit the container they are going to be sent in

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 12, 8:04pm
wow thanks for the tips here :) i just made the caramel crumble from off here and it was divine! Sorry name slips me but definitely a praise is due. DELICIOUS!