Slow cooker bread - loaf tin inside?

meetee, Jun 4, 11:58pm
I have a 6.5 litre slow cooker and have made bread from the recipe on here in it but was a flatter wide loaf because the cooker is too big. I would like to know if it is possible to use a loaf tin or even a casserole dish inside the slow cooker to get a better loaf shape. I haven't done much in the slow cooker because it is just me now my partner died. I have thought about getting a small one.

lindylambchops1, Jun 5, 2:51am
meetee sorry to hear of your loss.I am not sure about placing a loaf tin in the slow cooker.You could give it a try & report back.Might be a good idea to buy a smaller slow cooker now.Happy cooking!

meetee, Jun 5, 3:51am
Thanks! I might try a pyrex loaf shaped dish on a plate but halve the recipe. I think the edges won't brown as much but, as long as it is bread-like, its okay.

kay141, Jun 5, 4:23am
There is just me and I have a 6.5l plus a smaller one. I use my freezer like an extra pantry and freeze a lot in meal sized portions. I freeze bread, cakes and meals.In Alison Holst slow cooker book, she suggests various types of containers, metal and plastic. Sjhe also cooks a meatloaf in tinfoil to make a loaf shape. I have both the books and I suggest a browse through the library for ideas.

meetee, Jun 5, 4:55am
Thanks kay141. I also freeze a lot of meals. I use ramekin dishes, bowls or even pudding dishes to freeze things like shepherd's pie, chocolate self saucing pudding, apple crumble, etc, then take them out when needed and microwave. It means I have a proper meal when I can't be bothered cooking for just me. It must be cheaper also using the oven for several meals at once.
I have got a loaf on now. I used a saucer underneath and have the mix in a tin loaf tin, using half the recipe. I will report on the success or otherwise. I just wasn't sure if you could put a metal tin in - nothing broken yet though!

kay141, Jun 5, 5:12am
Another after my own heart. I still cook as though I was feeding an army. Then I find I can't get anymore in the freezer and I had better use some. It seems from the books that you can cook in anything in the slowcooker even plastic. I guess it doesn't get hot enough to do any harm.

meetee, Jun 5, 6:54am
YES! I have taken in out and tried the little bit that stuck on the side and it is perfect! I put baking paper in the bottom so it didn't stick. I didn't brown the top under the grill - it didn't really need it. I can have bread again! I can't eat commercial bread except for a very few brands that don't have soy, because of the soy, but also I think it is the bread improvers that I can't handle.

meetee, Jun 5, 11:58pm
I have a 6.5 litre slow cooker and have made bread from the recipe on here in it but was a flatter wide loaf because the cooker is too big. I would like to know if it is possible to use a loaf tin or even a casserole dish inside the slow cooker to get a better loaf shape. I haven't done much in the slow cooker because it is just me now my partner died. I have thought about getting a small one.

pp11, Jun 6, 2:32am
This thread reminded me of a warning I wantedto post.

I used a couple of oven bags in the slow cooker for the first time the other day (as I read a few comments that they were fine to use) and thank god I was in all day as I happened to walk by and notice that the bags had blown up so full of air that they had pushed the lid off of the slow cooker!!

meetee, Jun 6, 3:51am
Thanks! I might try a pyrex loaf shaped dish on a plate but halve the recipe. I think the edges won't brown as much but, as long as it is bread-like, its okay.

meetee, Jun 6, 4:55am
Thanks kay141. I also freeze a lot of meals. I use ramekin dishes, bowls or even pudding dishes to freeze things like shepherd's pie, chocolate self saucing pudding, apple crumble, etc, then take them out when needed and microwave. It means I have a proper meal when I can't be bothered cooking for just me. It must be cheaper also using the oven for several meals at once.
I have got a loaf on now. I used a saucer underneath and have the mix in a tin loaf tin, using half the recipe. I will report on the success or otherwise. I just wasn't sure if you could put a metal tin in - nothing broken yet though!

kay141, Jun 6, 5:12am
Another after my own heart. I still cook as though I was feeding an army. Then I find I can't get anymore in the freezer and I had better use some. It seems from the books that you can cook in anything in the slowcooker even plastic. I guess it doesn't get hot enough to do any harm.

meetee, Jun 6, 6:54am
YES! I have taken in out and tried the little bit that stuck on the side and it is perfect! I put baking paper in the bottom so it didn't stick. I didn't brown the top under the grill - it didn't really need it. I can have bread again! I can't eat commercial bread except for a very few brands that don't have soy, because of the soy, but also I think it is the bread improvers that I can't handle.

pp11, Jun 7, 2:32am
This thread reminded me of a warning I wantedto post.

I used a couple of oven bags in the slow cooker for the first time the other day (as I read a few comments that they were fine to use) and thank god I was in all day as I happened to walk by and notice that the bags had blown up so full of air that they had pushed the lid off of the slow cooker!