Kitchen experiment: Lime Jam! Any advice?!

leahgrace, Jun 4, 8:09am
I have bucketloads of limes that are ripe & plan to finely chop them in a food processor then chuck in a pot with lots of sugar, a bit of water and maybe some pealed mandarins to (hopefully) make a nice jam/marmalade spread.
It would be great to not end up with a big pot of lime-flavoured BLAH....any advice/suggestions/perceived pitfalls gratefully accepted. :-)

sultana0, Jun 4, 8:14am
Go 4 to 1 ratio, (one lime per 4 other fruit, either orange or grapefruit)mmmhhhh limes

wheelz, Jun 4, 8:16am
google Lime marmalade... there a few recipes. Lime marmalade is quite hard to get it set right, as you will read on a few sights. A better result is made by using lemon and limes. I made a big batch of just lime marmalade and the whole lot had to be binned.

leahgrace, Jun 4, 8:20am
Oh no! What a pain! Thank you both, I was hoping to use more limes than other fruit as I have so many, and make jam as I don't know many people who like marmalade, but I guess being citrus it'd be more of a marmalade anyway.

cookessentials, Jun 4, 8:20am
Nothing wrong with lime marmalade. Roses Lime marmalade is one of my favourites.

leahgrace, Jun 4, 8:33am
I didn't know you could buy it, not being a marmalade lady myself, that's great, I will get a jar of that to compare what it is meant to taste like before I go chopping and boiling like a mad woman...

indy95, Jun 5, 4:06am
I love lime marmalade, especially Roses. I think you will get a better result by adding a few lemons as I've found that using just limes can result in a rather bitter, acrid flavour even though there is a significant amount of sugar in the marmalade.

duckmoon, Jun 5, 6:49am
use a regular marmalade recipe and change the fruit to limes - rather than oranges or grapefruit...

Or goggle Lime Marmalade...

A tip from my mother "put half a drop of green food colouring into the mixutre before putting into jars"... it gives the marmalade a great colour

uli, Jun 5, 7:22am
How do you measure half a drop?

cookessentials, Jun 5, 7:36am
Oh dear, ever the comedian. The Roses is lovely,although it can be quite sweet.You could do a mixture of lemon. or do a three fruit marmalade with lime, lemon and orange.

uli, Jun 5, 7:41am
I make lime pickle every year when I have too many limes.

Have a look here - this is pretty authentic - and very similar to how I make mine

http://www.tajrecipe.com/indian/cooking/recipes/South-Indian-Pickles/Lime-Pickle_323.aspx

leahgrace, Jun 5, 8:02am
Thanks everyone, I have made @30 jars of an Indian Sweet Lime Chutney so wanted to give something else a go. Think I will try cookessentials tip and mix lemons and mandarins (instead of oranges as I have heaps of mandarins).with the limes. Uli, you may not remember but in another thread you gave me a tip to get organised and sort out some potential buyers for next year's lime crop. And by golly I am going to! :0)

auburn4, Jun 5, 8:22am
Would the new jam setting sugar help solve the problem of lime marmalade not setting? It worked really well when I made cherry guava jelly recently.

duckmoon, Jun 5, 8:40am
excellent question... I use the end of a bamboo skewer... perhaps a "smear" might be a better description...

uli, Jun 5, 9:53pm
:) tanks duckmoon - I really was interested how much you really did use.

leahgrace- great that you are taking the opportunity to make some cash out of your limes! I hope you will do very well!