Recipe for a BIG cake please

smiley62, Jun 4, 7:02am
I am making the cake for my Fathers birthday next weekend, it has to be big as their are about 100 people invited I have a wonderful recipe for white choc mudcake I was thinking of doing but will need to double the recipe twice, I would like to do 2 layers and that is a lot of chocolate!!
does anyone have a good recire to feed a crowd. Cheers.

fishergrl, Jun 4, 7:40am
This is the recipe i use for cake making - http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe
One box - doctored with this recipe makes roughly six cups of cake mix
I used vanilla cake mix and made white choc ganache to fill and ice the cake and it makes a very decadent and large cake - and making two lots wont break the bank :)

Hope this helps

smiley62, Jun 4, 8:19am
Yum! I have just had a look and the cake sounds great, i will give it a test run this weekend. Thanks.

fishergrl, Jun 4, 8:26am
I was just thinking about it and the wedding cake i did fed roughly 86 people. for that i used 3 mixes.

Just a side note - its super divine if you heat up a portion and serve with ice cream lol

gennie, Jun 4, 9:46am
This is a chocolate cake recipe that makes a big cake (I have to use my largest bowl when I make it and it comes up to the top of my largest round cake tin once cooked).Very easy to make and the cake is rich and moist and a number of friends now also make it as their number one chocolate cake.And weirdly enough, it tastes even better if it is frozen for a while.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Double-Chocolate-Layer-Cake-101275

I always cook it in one tin (not layers) and I use regular ganache, not the icing recipe it has.

melissa411, Jun 4, 10:03am
The following recipe is awesome. It makes a large meat dish cake and is moist and gets nicer the older it gets. Freezes well. A real winner!!!

I make this once a week makes a small rosat pan size cake

3.5 c flour
3.5 c sugar
3 t/s Baking powder
1.5 c cocoa
1 cup oil
2 cups milk
3 t/s baking soda
1 t/s salt
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups of boiling water (added at end)

Put all ingredients (except for the water) in a large bowl mix well to a batter. add boiling water and mix till smooth bake in the over at 160 for 1hr. you can split the mix and make two smaller cakes or make 1 smaller cake and put the rest into muffin tins the choice is completely up to you. this is an excellent cake if you have a large family or just want to impress people. gets moister by the day so stays nice and fresh very simular to mud cake.
Quote hooksie60 (129 ) 2:27 pm, Thu 29 Oct #1"

purplegoanna, Jun 4, 10:42am
smiley62 i can HIGHLY recommend the windmill bakery over in the deep heart of mangere! they make the most awesome tasty fresh giant chocolate cakes, i got a half size for a bday party or 30 and we ate half and their was still enough for seconds and takehomes, the half cost me $50 and the whole cake costs $100, it comes with choco icing + whateva writing you want. They do a nice piped cream design around the outside and for an extra $10 will cut cake in half and do a middle layer of cream aswell..........you have to book and theyre not open on mondays!? but i can HIGHLY recommend their choccy cake for a large function.

kinna54, Jun 5, 9:13am
purplegoanna I 2nd your idea! For my son's 21st dinner(albeit a few years ago) I did the same, got a local bakery in Palmy (where I knew the baker) to make a choc sponge slab and he iced, fresh creamed, layered and decorated it, it was absolutely fantastic, and was the desset for the evening. It freed me up to concentrate on the other food, and I was able to relax with one less job to do.
Hope you have a lovely time smiley.

gemini007, Jun 5, 9:27am
I second this recipe - tried it two weeks ago for the first time and it's delish & big enough to make into a fire engine cake for a 5 yr old by the way :-)

bhindibabe, Jun 5, 10:43am
Gonna try this tomorrow...does it need icing?