Roast beef- your method of cooking is???

courtney2004, Jun 3, 5:20am
I have a plan of having a roast beef tomorrow night. How do others cook them eg method, herbs. I normally just toss it in the oven in a roasting dish with a bit of water cover and cook and put potatoes and vegies in another dish to cook. But this time I am open for options.

otterhound, Jun 3, 6:15am
I'm not a big fan of roast beef but here's a recipe for it I just love.
3 Tbs olive oil
1.5 kg topside roast
6 baby onions, peeled
100 gm choppped bacon
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 carrots, sliced
5 cm piece of orange peel
300gm button mushrooms
1 1/2 cups red wine
2 Tbl tomato paste
1 1/2 cups beef stock
Salt and pepper to taste.
Preheat oven to 190 degrees.Heat oil in a metal casserole dish just big enough to hold everything.Brown bef all over, remove fromthe casserole and set aside.Add onions to the casserole and brown them, add the bacon, garlic,orange peel and mushrooms and fry til bacon is cooked.Place beef back in the casseole with other ingredients around it.Turn heat up and add the wine.Let it bubble 30 seconds.Mix tomato paste with stock and add to casserole.Cover and place in over for 2 1/2 - 3 hours or until beef is very tender.Remove from oven and stand for 5 minutes then put beef intoa serving dish,Put casserole onto heat and bring to boil.Taste and season with salt and petter.Remove orange peel.Slice or simply break the beef into pieces and jour the sauce over it.Great with mashed potatoes and vegies, or salad.It's got heaps of flavour and is SO tender

courtney2004, Jun 3, 6:36am
hi, Thanks it sounds a lovely recipe I will try that one sometime. However the one I have got out is a rolled roast - not stuffed just noticed thought it was just a plain roast. The meat is really tender already as its from our farm.

rj5, Jun 3, 6:48am
Have love doing them in the crockpot with a packet of oxtail soup gravy

courtney2004, Jun 3, 6:53am
I would be quite happy that way myself but the men want the real roast thing eg in oven with roast vegies what I am wondering is if there is a little different thing I could do to make it different.

willemakeit, Jun 3, 8:51am
I cut small holes into the meat and put cloves of garlic through it,

also I place the veges under the meat, so the fat runs onto the veges.
at the last, turn the oven up to really crisp up the veges. then use the same pan to make the gravy in

piquant, Jun 3, 8:58am
I put a good grinding of black peppercorns over the meat. I sear the surface in the baking pan and cook the vegies in the pan with the meat. Always do yorkshire puddings and always have horseradish sauce with roat beef. Nothing like it! Yum - you've got me going now!

kuaka, Jun 3, 9:48am
Once you add water, it's no longer a "roast" but "broiled" or "braised" in my opinion.

buzzy110, Jun 3, 11:45am
So true.

cheeseepoof, Jun 3, 9:40pm
Your definition of"broiled" would be of the mark then

pickles7, Jun 3, 10:51pm
Slow cooker,

Beef Pot Roast , rolled , boneless cuts.

Turn the slow cooker on high, add 2 Tbsp oil.
Heat a fry pan with a little oil
Fry
1 cut up onion
1 chopped carrot,
any other little bits and bobs you have,
stalks of broccoli, cauli, celery etc. maybe 1 cup all up
Put that into the bottom of the slow cooker
Sear the meat all over
Put the meat on top of the veg's
Add 1 cup of water to the frying pan to clean off all the drippings, add to the slow cooker
Sprinkle over
1 packet of soup mix, I use any that need to be used up.
[ a soup mix, this helps with making the gravy ]
Add salt and pepper, remember it is easier to add more, than to take salt out of a dish.
Turn the cooker onto Auto, close the lid and don't open it again until you can smell a delicious smell. lol.
I cannot tell you how long, to cook it, It would depend on the size of the meat, the cut of your meat, your slow cooker, so many variables.
Write down your times etc for future reference.
Cook from 4 to 6 hours. Even more if required
I remove mine when the internal temp is 160deg F, 71deg C.
It will be medium, juicy, tender.

kuaka, Jun 4, 12:05am
"of the mark" ??

kuaka, Jun 4, 12:07am
okay, maybe not broiled, then, but definitely braised - broiled isn't a term I use, but note it is used a lot in American recipe books.I guess we would just call it grilled.I still say, once you add water, it isn't a roast.

purplegoanna, Jun 4, 1:08am
ive used this twice now on lamb have yet to try it on pork etc...its really yummy, i served it with a spicy mixed couscous and gravy... http://www.blue-kitchen.com/2010/04/07/moroccan-spice-rub-brings-big-flavor-to-spring-leg-of-lamb%E2%80%94or-chicken-or-beef-or-pork/

raewyn2, Jun 4, 2:10am
Garlic ginger and soy sauce and let it cook VERY slowly so that the inside is properly cooked and the outside caramelised. Even better if you turn it over half way and at that point drain off any excess water that has come out of the meat. it can't caramelise if it's swimming.

cats5, Jun 4, 2:27am
just put in crockpot on auto and leave all daytender as

buzzy110, Jun 4, 4:15am
I still believe you.

gaspodetwd, Jun 4, 5:18am
Rolled roast? Very slowly! And make sure it stays rare. Cook on carrots, celery and onions. Add black pepper and a pinch of salt. You can smear mustard on too.

cookessentials, Jun 5, 9:02am
I gave up roasting topside or a rolled beef roast. The odd time I do one, I use fillet of beef.