Rice/Sago Pud in Slow Cooker

sofija, Jun 2, 6:01am
Hi, just coming over to the 'Recipes' side from 'Pets' looking for a Rice or Sago Pudding recipe for the Slow Cooker - we got side tracked from dogs onto food - as you do:-)
Did a search for Rice puddings - theres Heaps, so thought one of you kind foodies might be able to narrow the search for me - tku :-)

marcs, Jun 2, 7:20am
I make this all the time in the slow cooker.

1/2 cup short grain rice (sushi rice. I don't like aborio rice but you scan use that as well or just just use normal rice if neither is available)
1/3 cup sugar
4 - 5 cups of milk (blue top is nicer in flavour)
300ml cream (you can omit this but make sure there is 5 cups of milk)
2 tsp vanilla or 1 vanilla bean.

Combine everything in the slow cooking and cook for 2 - 3 hours depending on your slow cooker. Once it thickens enough turn it off as it gets thicker when it sits. May take a bit to get used to turning it off at the right time.

sofija, Jun 2, 8:10am
Thank you marcs..... Waving to you from 'across the ditch'

I'm a grey top milk girl myself (full cream), soo much better than that other watered down stuff that they try to pass off as milk and I usualy put a knob of butter in to my sago pud's - so could prob still do this rather than the cream in your recipe.

harrislucinda, Jun 2, 9:58am
doputwaterin thebottomofcrockpotfirstthenbowl,makespudrealfluffy

angeldrawers, Jun 3, 10:00am
So does that mean that it goes into the metal part of the slow cooker?? or into the main removeable bowl?? please. tia

bunny51, Jun 3, 10:03am
You can either put the rice puddign straight into the crockery insert of the crockpot or put it into a casserole dish then put it into the crockpot but if you do it htat way you need to put some water into the crockery insert bit. Both are nice but need to watch it ai bit more if you put it straight into the insert bit.

beaker59, Jun 3, 10:34am
Something i do often, mainly in winter
• 4 cups milk
• 2/3 cup white sugar
• 1/2 cup small pearl tapioca
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 1 tsp Vanilla essence

DIRECTIONS
1. Stir together the milk, sugar, tapioca, and eggs in a slow cooker. Cover, and cook on Medium for 3 hours, or on Low for 6 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve warm.

Got the recipe off the net years ago always works well and so easy.

marcs, Jun 3, 11:37am
The recipe does call for butter as well but I don't bother. Most times I just make it with full cream milk and not bother with cream. The other option is to add half a can of condensed milk instead of sugar. Also can add a grating of nutmeg with your vanilla. The other flavour that I enjoy is cardimom and nutmeg (cardimom being more dominant) instead of vanilla, with a sprinking of slivered almond and sultanas right at the end.

sofija, Jun 4, 7:31am
Ahh, now thats a good idea, to still put the pudding in a cassorole dish - inside the crockpot insert, I wondered if this was poss, and thankyou for answering my nextquestion - putting some water in the main crockery insert bowl :-)
Thank you for your recipe beaker.
I doooo like putting Nutmeg on top of my sago puds marcs:-)..... thanks for your other flavour suggestions, 'condensed milk' oh Yum, Must try that next.