Rhubarb and apple crumble

garfeild101, Jun 1, 4:41am
I know how to do it but i was wondering some people leave the rhubarb strips as strips and others cut them up in cubes with the apples-is there any difference as to how to prepare...

I would cut up apple and rhubarb peices and place in oven dish and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon and top with a crumble topping and bake

jessie981, Jun 1, 4:59am
I do what you suggest, this recipe sounds yummy
Caramel Crusted Rhubarb and Apple Pudding ¾ cup flour 1 teaspoon baking powder ½ cup rolled oats ¼ cup white sugar 100g melted butter Stewed rhubarb and apple ¾ cup brown sugar 1 tablespoon custard powder or cornflour ¼ cup boiling water Preheat oven to 180c. Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add rolled oats and white sugar. Mix in melted butter to make a crumble mixture. Sprinkle over rhubarb and apple. In the discarded bowl, combine brown sugar and custard powder. Spoon over crumble mix. Carefully pour over the boiling water. Do not stir. Oven bake for 30 minutes.
charlieb2 (266 )

kinna54, Jun 1, 6:08am
my preference, I always cook the rhubarb 1st, as you can test and adjust the sweetness, also you can adjust the syrup content (you only need a couple of spoonfuls water in the pot, as rhubarb creates it's own syrup) also you can then check and make sure the rhubarb is cooked thru and not fibrous. Then I pour into my baking dish, add my crumble mix and bake until the topping is cooked. If making apple crumble I also stew the apples first,(adding cloves and cinnamon) as I find a crumble is better when the mix is added on top of hot fruit.