Ginger syrup

norse_westie, May 30, 4:27am
I tasted some divine ginger syrup at a market this weekend, but figured I could make my own. I found this recipe and made it today:

In a pot:
1 teaspoon peppercorns
2 teaspoons whole cardamom pods
1 teaspoon whole allspice
3 star anise
-Brown till fragrant
-Add:
-1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
4 oz (around 110g) peeled sliced fresh ginger
-2 cups water.

Bring to the boil then simmer for 20-30 minutes. Cool, strain and bottle.

Personally I find it a tiny bit too sweet so may drop to 1/2 cup white sugar and 1 cup brown. And the strained ginger minus the spices can be used for other cooking, or eaten as is.

I made some quite strong lemon syrup last week, with twice the usual amount of lemon juice, and I added half and half ginger syrup - very nice, and would make a lovely hot toddy over winter.

lindylambchops1, May 30, 4:47am
Sounds delicious!Thanks for sharing.

nauru, May 30, 11:25am
I put ginger through my juicer and make a syrup.The juice freezes well too so I usually do a kg at a time and freeze it in usable amounts.

norse_westie, May 30, 9:15pm
I might try that for adding to meals. The syrup above is useful for drinking as hot toddys - just add boiling water. And I give it straight to my kids for throat infections. No such thing as cough medicine in this house.

nauru, May 31, 10:07am
I use ginger syrup in my tea instead of milk, we drink White Tea but I make it with Stevia sweetener instead of sugar and agree about the hot Toddys .It's also great added to homemade Sweet and Sour or Satay Sauce too, gives it a nice kick .

norse_westie, May 31, 11:09am
Thanks. I will try all those things. :)