Im after a really good whole grain BREAD

irish15, May 30, 2:43am
Bread that is made from whole grains as I want to start a low carb diet and I have been told that I need to look for a really good whole grain bread that is actually made from whole grains, The shopping isles are full of bread and I know i will be lost searching for this bread so if you already eat it can you advise, cheers

petal1955, May 30, 3:44am
Cant go past "Signature Soya and Linseed" at Countdown/Woolworths

winnie231, May 30, 4:07am
Do you mean low carb or low GI?
Either way, all standard breads are a form of carb but certainly some of them are better for you than others. Low GI breads are good.
I recommend this one ...
http://www.burgen.co.nz/Range/Product.aspx/12/Wholemeal--Seeds

uli, May 30, 4:26am
A low carb diet means lowering your carbs.
Carbs are all starches and sugars.
Which means you need to eliminate bread, pasta, rice, sugar, cakes, biscuits etc.

Whole grain bread is just as much starch as white bread really - but it won't push up the blood sugar as fast as white bread - however the blood sugar will be higher for a longer time ... which is better for you ? I don't know, the "experts don't agree on it either.

Meanwhile I would simply not eat bread etc - see above.

Have you found the NZ low carb website yet?
Lots of good recipes and lots of good advice.
Since TM is exceedingly worried we could be selling things to each other there and they might lose 20 cents on fees - we are not allowed to give a link.

But if you google it and find a site with a dark background and some intersting foodie pic in the middle you found it :)

Good luck with your low carb diet.

cottagerose, May 30, 6:01am
sureslim, recommends burgen bread.,soy linseed. 2 slices with heaps of salad filling is their suggestion

jubellsrose, May 30, 6:30am
has anyone tried McKenzies bread (I think),wrapped in brown wrapper.Some one has just told me about it.I think it comes from Sth Is.

gardie, May 30, 7:48am
McKenzies bread is very, very nice - not much low carb about it though.

hestia, May 30, 8:24am
Not to worry, there's always insulin to help lower your blood sugar.

calista, May 30, 6:27pm
The diabetic clinic at Christchurch hospital recommended Burgen bread. I don't like the linseed one as much as the others (beside which the seeds are so smallthey go right through you).

bedazzledjewels, May 30, 6:46pm
It would be helpful if poster #1 came back and confirmed which diet she's doing - low carb or low GI.
If it's low carb; bread's a No-Go.

irish15, May 30, 11:37pm
for the life of me i can not find your website on low carb, I have been on the low carb aitkens diet on and off but over the last 6 months have gone crazy and gone back to old ways, I have encorparated fruit, all bran, carrots, potatoes and on the weekends I go crazy on bread. So I thought is there something in between. I have read you can still loose weight on a low carb diet by eating wholegrains thats why I thought about a good wholegrain bread

visionspring, May 30, 11:54pm
I reckon go for those "breadman" loaves - like the pumpernickel or something. I have seen then for sale at New World :) http://www.breadman.co.nz/

malcovy, May 30, 11:57pm
Burgen weight management is delicious and full of grains, its great to get things moving along and its low GI.

irish15, May 31, 12:01am
can being on a low GI diet help you loose weight as compared to aitkens

bedazzledjewels, May 31, 12:25am
Irish - here's a recipe you might like to google -
Oeufs Meulemeester

irish15, May 31, 12:36am
Got it! thankyou.

uli, May 31, 1:18am
Looking forward to seeing you on the "dark side" irish15 :)

winnie231, May 31, 4:07am
Do you mean low carb or low GI!
Either way, all standard breads are a form of carb but certainly some of them are better for you than others. Low GI breads are good.
I recommend this one .
http://www.burgen.co.nz/Range/Product.aspx/12/Wholemeal--Seeds

hestia, May 31, 8:24am
Not to worry, there's always insulin to help lower your blood sugar.

calista, May 31, 6:27pm
The diabetic clinic at Christchurch hospital recommended Burgen bread. I don't like the linseed one as much as the others (beside which the seeds are so smallthey go right through you).

bedazzledjewels, May 31, 6:46pm
It would be helpful if poster #1 came back and confirmed which diet she's doing - low carb or low GI.
If it's low carb; bread's a No-Go.

bedazzledjewels, Jun 1, 12:25am
Irish - here's a recipe you might like to google -
Oeufs Meulemeester