Mixing melted chocolate with egg yolk

toy_turbo, May 29, 2:30am
I have a yummy Kahlua chocolate mousse recipe, but in it it calls for you to mix the egg yolks & kahlua into the melted chocolate and every time it makes the chocolate border on seizing. I just made it now and added the kahlua to the whipped cream instead, and just put the egg yolks in the chocolate, but still the same thing happens! It still tastes great, but doesn't look the part as I can't get it smooth. Am I doing something wrong or is that just what happens? I was thinking of renaming it - Kahlua Chocolate Chunk Mousse lol!! ;-)

radark, May 29, 3:27am
get ur chocolate a bit hotter then add the kahlua nd then the eggs 1 at a time mixing well between additions

malcovy, May 29, 3:42am
You can gently heat the choc and kahlua together in a double boiler or bowl over a pot containing simmering water, remove the bowl from heat and add egg yolk.It sounds like the choc may be to hot.

buzzy110, May 29, 4:08am
Or you may just be using chocolate that is too dark. I have found that anything over 70% 'seizes'. sometimes it is also the brand of chocolate you are using. When Cadbury's changed their blocks to palm oil instead of cacao butter, the same thing used to happen.

toy_turbo, May 29, 4:40am
Thanks for your replies :-) I don't think it's too hot, I microwave it, stirring every 30 seconds until just melted, stirring in the last little bits til smooth. I do put all the yolks in at once though, so might try radark's suggestion of one at a time. Or it could just be what buzzy110 says - I'm using Cadbury Energry choc, I love dark chocolate mousse! :-)

prawn_whiskas, May 29, 5:03am
Thats the sole problem.. there is a reason why recipes say add one yolk at a time mixing well between each addition.. its not written for s&g's lol

snowboard123, May 29, 6:29am
Ive never had a problem when I make my mousse.It goes a bit funny to start with but then goes smoth after some stirring.

toy_turbo, May 29, 7:40am
Lol, okay, the recipe simply says "4. Stir in combined egg yolks and Kahlua." I got it off Food.com :-)

robyn35, May 29, 8:42am
try melting the choc in a bowl over hot water, seems to be better doing it that way when needing to add stuff into the choc.Sometimes the microwave is the problem, sort of changes/cooks the choc

toy_turbo, May 29, 9:14am
Mmmm, good point - I always thought microwaving was quicker/easier, but I think you might be right.

Just had some for dessert, yum!! :-D

rosathemad, May 29, 7:39pm
I have had this problem and back the others who've said your chocolate is probably too hot. Microwaves can make it hotter than it seems - so trying the double boiler, though not as easy, is probably a good idea. Also, once the chocolate is melted and smooth it will stay liquid for some time, and some recipes advise you to let it cool slightly before adding the eggs - I usually wait 3-4 minutes (doing other stuff) which should help prevent the eggs from trying to cook.

sar6, May 30, 12:20am
No problem with microwaving the chocolate just set at a lower power lever.

cookessentials, May 30, 12:38am
I am with rosa on this one. Also, make sure your eggs are at room temp and add them one at a time.

toy_turbo, May 30, 2:30am
I have a yummy Kahlua chocolate mousse recipe, but in it it calls for you to mix the egg yolks & kahlua into the melted chocolate and every time it makes the chocolate border on seizing. I just made it now and added the kahlua to the whipped cream instead, and just put the egg yolks in the chocolate, but still the same thing happens! It still tastes great, but doesn't look the part as I can't get it smooth. Am I doing something wrong or is that just what happens! I was thinking of renaming it - Kahlua Chocolate Chunk Mousse lol! ;-)

buzzy110, May 30, 4:08am
Or you may just be using chocolate that is too dark. I have found that anything over 70% 'seizes'. sometimes it is also the brand of chocolate you are using. When Cadbury's changed their blocks to palm oil instead of cacao butter, the same thing used to happen.

toy_turbo, May 30, 4:40am
Thanks for your replies :-) I don't think it's too hot, I microwave it, stirring every 30 seconds until just melted, stirring in the last little bits til smooth. I do put all the yolks in at once though, so might try radark's suggestion of one at a time. Or it could just be what buzzy110 says - I'm using Cadbury Energry choc, I love dark chocolate mousse! :-)

prawn_whiskas, May 30, 5:03am
Thats the sole problem. there is a reason why recipes say add one yolk at a time mixing well between each addition. its not written for s&g's lol

toy_turbo, May 30, 9:14am
Mmmm, good point - I always thought microwaving was quicker/easier, but I think you might be right.

Just had some for dessert, yum! :-D

rosathemad, May 30, 7:39pm
I have had this problem and back the others who've said your chocolate is probably too hot. Microwaves can make it hotter than it seems - so trying the double boiler, though not as easy, is probably a good idea. Also, once the chocolate is melted and smooth it will stay liquid for some time, and some recipes advise you to let it cool slightly before adding the eggs - I usually wait 3-4 minutes (doing other stuff) which should help prevent the eggs from trying to cook.