Peeling garlic

Page 1 / 2
pat56, Mar 16, 4:41am
Does anyone know an easy unfiddly way to peel garlic?

gaspodetwd, Mar 16, 4:47am
What is fiddly? You flatten with a knife - and then the skin just pulls away in one go.

angel404, Mar 16, 5:26am
*nods*

joybells2, Mar 16, 5:34am
I always use garlic crushed you buy in a jar. i hate handling garlic, getting all smelly ha.

jag5, Mar 16, 6:41am
Sometimes you need whole cloves eg when pickling it. No easy way, but make sure you use rubber gloves if doing in bulk, as the juice does burn and leave you blisters on fingers. Some say get a piece of rubber or plastic hose, pop the clove in and roll around under the palm of your hand. The skin supposedly comes away. Never tried it.

seniorbones, Mar 16, 6:45am
you can buy a garlic peeler, it looks like a rubber tube any kitchen shop should have them, I have two and they are fantastic. Actually ask cookessentials she may sell them, I have had mine for years and only paid about $2 but expect like everything they will be dearer now. I also have one in the shape of a garlic bulb, dont buy that one its not as good.

beaker59, Mar 16, 7:14am
Totally agree and I use allot of garlic specially right now in colds season. I use about 4 bulbs a week for our family of 3, my dad converted me to eating it raw with blue cheese and beer mmmmmmmmm

clemo, Mar 16, 7:21am
LOL... Peeeewww! (But YUMMO)

harrislucinda, Mar 16, 9:00am
i haveagarliccrusherputskinandallinthen itsqueezesouttheholesskinstillleftinso noneed to handle

brianmac, Mar 16, 9:24am
Zeal silicone garlic peeler is a silicone tube in bright colours, you pop the clove in and roll on bench top using light pressure, the paper comes of cleanly and quickly - yes you can crush with the blade of a knife, however, not everyone likes the smell of garlic. You can chop finely also using a "garlic zoom" - looks like a yoyo but they work so well and chop it finely with no smelly hands.

cookessentials, Mar 16, 9:27am
LOL had my "brianmac" hat on, sorry about that. but as above. They are $7. 95 for the peeler and $18. 95 for the garlic zoom.

winnie231, Mar 16, 8:51pm
beaker - that takes me back! ! !
The friends I lived with in Austria ate fresh, new seasons garlic that way ... YUM! !

beaker59, Mar 16, 11:55pm
Yes Winnie I also have eaten it that way in Austria specifically in Burghausen which is on the Bayern/Austrian border which makes me wonder where dad picked the idea up from possibly from my uncles who were in that area during WW2.

jag5, Mar 17, 12:31am
Fresh raw, finely sliced garlic, sliced tomatoes, salt and pepper on sammies. Oh so good.

cherie19, Mar 17, 5:51am
Put how much you need in microwave. Zap very briefly, up to 10 secs. Skin comes off way easier! !

bortgoodz, Mar 20, 5:55am
how i peel my garlic is i still the cloves in hot water and the skins just peel off

hezwez, Mar 20, 6:42am
Where are they sold?

jag5, Mar 20, 9:11am
I am going to try Stevens tomorrow. I have a heap of garllic to peel to pickle

hezwez, Mar 20, 9:15am
Just went on their online store jag5, could find only two garlic presses there in the search.

cookessentials, Mar 20, 9:30am
if you go to trademecooks on facebook ( see thread on here) and ask, you will get your answer.

bin-boy-lin, Mar 20, 9:38pm
Not trying to ruin any sales, but a good cheap peeler is a piece of bicycle tube.

elliehen, Mar 21, 12:21am
To ward off a cold, if you have to be in a crowd of germy people, eat a sandwich of chopped raw garlic and lashings of parsley - very effective, and the garlic odour is somewhat neutralised by the parsley :)

hezwez, Mar 21, 12:24am
... and they won't get close enough to give you any of their germs, surely a plus.

bigcous, Apr 3, 8:21am
cut ends off clove and then it peels very easy

cookessentials, Apr 3, 7:47pm
Have you tried trademe?