Crumpets! Anyone got a good recipe?

tramore, Feb 3, 9:27pm
I made these and was really delighted with the result.Thank you for the recipe.I sent my husband off to the workshop to make me large rings now as the poached egg rings are for dainty meals!

blackbud, Feb 3, 10:01pm
Try maple syrup instead of golden it's so goood

debzsta, Feb 3, 10:21pm
Wendyl Nissan has a receipe in the New Zealand Womans Weekly dated 13 Feb 2012.

helen65018, May 28, 6:41am
I love yeast cookery so want to have a go at making crumpets - anyone got any good tips/recipes please?

gardie, May 28, 6:59am
I googled a recipe some time ago and it sounded great but tasted nothing like the golden crumpets I love, nor did them even resemble them in texture.I even brought silicon rings to cook them in.I am unlikely to try them again unless someone gives me a tasty recipe. I'd rather spend the occasional $1.30 when I feel like a treat.(They need to be a treat because of the butter and golden syrup that they call for).For me, they were a bit like eating Pams brand compared to golden crumpets.

dolphin9, May 28, 7:04am
There's a recipe in Junes Skywatch magazine

neon2k, May 28, 7:04am
had a very old receipe and it used potatoes as the base for the crumpets.

cookessentials, May 28, 8:25am
Yes, I have and I have posted it on here before. I shall see if Ii can find it.

cookessentials, May 28, 8:27am
Here it is, I found it and copy and pasted below.

Have been making these for some 20 years. makes 24. I use proper crumpet rings.

4cups plain flour
2 tbsp baking powder
1.5 tsp salt
1.5 tsp sugar
3 cups lukewarm water
15g compressed yeast.

Sift flour and baking powder, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Dissolve yeast in water, add to dry ingredients and beat until smooth. Crumpets can be cooked in a lightly greased frying pan or electric frypan ( preheated to 130C) Lightly grease egg rings or crumpet moulds and pop them in the pan to heat through. When hot, 3/4 fill the rings with batter. Allow to cook over a low heat for approx 10 minutes or until surface is covered with holes, remove rings and cover pan and cook a further 2 -3 mins or until surface has set. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack. When cold, toast and serve with butter. ( these are just like the bought ones but softer and MUCH nicer. You can substitute thr fresh yeast with dry if you dont have it. 1 tsp dried is the substitute. You can also freeze these.

gardie, May 28, 8:41am
mmm... much softer and nicer!You have persuaded me to have another go cookes.Tomorrow morning's breakfast I think.

svce, May 28, 10:07am
I use the Edmond's Cookbook recipe.http://www.edmondscooki-
ng.co.nz/
But one time I put custard powder instead of baking powwder( I store them in plasctic container and had them mixed up ) . Tthey didn't raised as much but the kids loved it . I apologised to my friend when she came to pick up her kids as she is such a great cook ( cook have her owncatering usiness if she wnted ) , so she tried one and decided that theywere delicious . I have never tried that again as that was the only time I had custard powder in stock .

helen65018, May 29, 6:41am
I love yeast cookery so want to have a go at making crumpets - anyone got any good tips/recipes please!

marcs, May 29, 6:43am

gardie, May 29, 6:59am
I googled a recipe some time ago and it sounded great but tasted nothing like the golden crumpets I love, nor did them even resemble them in texture.I even brought silicon rings to cook them in.I am unlikely to try them again unless someone gives me a tasty recipe. I'd rather spend the occasional $1.30 when I feel like a treat.(They need to be a treat because of the butter and golden syrup that they call for).For me, they were a bit like eating Pams brand compared to golden crumpets.

dolphin9, May 29, 7:04am
There's a recipe in Junes Skywatch magazine

gardie, May 29, 8:41am
mmm. much softer and nicer!You have persuaded me to have another go cookes.Tomorrow morning's breakfast I think.

svce, May 29, 10:07am
I use the Edmond's Cookbook recipe.http://www.edmondscooki-
ng.co.nz/
But one time I put custard powder instead of baking powwder( I store them in plasctic container and had them mixed up ) . Tthey didn't raised as much but the kids loved it . I apologised to my friend when she came to pick up her kids as she is such a great cook ( cook have her owncatering usiness if she wnted ) , so she tried one and decided that theywere delicious . I have never tried that again as that was the only time I had custard powder in stock .

seaspray1, Aug 29, 8:50pm
cookessentials - Just a quick question.Do you let the batter sit at any stage!Being as there is a yeast component and all.

Many thanks.