Diabetic Cakes ideas

rainbowpride, May 28, 1:28am
Hi guys I am taking some morning tea into a business on tuesday morning and I am wanting to cater for all.I am making a decadent mud cake for those that dont care but one of the people I deal with I know is diabetic so I want to make something really lovely for him and as I am sure there are others who are watching their weight for them also.I have had a look at the recipe threads and there seem to be some great recipes but not being diabetic and happy to eat the bad stuff I would like your opinions on a really lovely cake or slice or loaf that I could take along.

Thanks in advance

kiwitrish, May 28, 2:13am
As a cake decorator I have used this recipe quite a few times as
wedding cake. Works well.
Diabetic Fruit Cake
250ml water,
25g sugar, 100g monounstaturated spread,
1/2 tsp mixed spice,
1/2 tsp baking soda,
450g dried fruit (currants, rasins, sultanas, cherries),
2 number 7 eggs,
1 cup wholemeal flour to which 1 and a half tsp baking powder has
been added.
Place all the ingredients except the eggs and flour into a saucepan
and boil together for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Allow to
cool. Blend in the eggs and flour and mix well. Bake in a 9” tin for
1 hour at 160C or 325F or number 3 gas . Test with skewer

lythande1, May 28, 2:55am
Type 1 Diabetics can eat sugar, they just adjust their insulin accordingly.In fact their sugar level is low - like my husband all the time, it's often a damn good idea to eat sugar, real fast.
Type 2 diabetics who may be watching their diets shouldn't eat cake at all, sugar or not - because their is all the carbohydrate to take into account also, makes no difference whether its wholemeal flour or white - it's still carbohydrate, a lot of it.
Why does morning teas etc always have to be cakes anyway? I hate dos like that where it's all just cake, cake, cake.

cgvl, May 28, 3:50am
there is a diabetic baking thread on here I will bump it up to top for you. has cakes, biscuits and other foods, not all are diabetic but most you can substitute the sugar for artificial sweetener or pure apple or orange juice.

crayonstory, May 28, 5:54am
I've only experienced gestational diabetes, but during that time I found the best morning tea things - though not luscious like cake - were things like vege sticks and hummus, or rice crackers and cheese - things you can nibble on that aren't going to set your blood sugar off.As lythande1 pointed out, it's not just sugar you need to look out for - it's any form of carbs.

lythande1, May 29, 2:55am
Type 1 Diabetics can eat sugar, they just adjust their insulin accordingly.In fact their sugar level is low - like my husband all the time, it's often a damn good idea to eat sugar, real fast.
Type 2 diabetics who may be watching their diets shouldn't eat cake at all, sugar or not - because their is all the carbohydrate to take into account also, makes no difference whether its wholemeal flour or white - it's still carbohydrate, a lot of it.
Why does morning teas etc always have to be cakes anyway! I hate dos like that where it's all just cake, cake, cake.

crayonstory, May 29, 5:54am
I've only experienced gestational diabetes, but during that time I found the best morning tea things - though not luscious like cake - were things like vege sticks and hummus, or rice crackers and cheese - things you can nibble on that aren't going to set your blood sugar off.As lythande1 pointed out, it's not just sugar you need to look out for - it's any form of carbs.