Recipes using chocolate dairyfood?

carlos57, May 26, 6:51am
We have a surplus of chocolate dairyfood, and I'm wondering if I could use some in baking. I'm thinking maybe a chocolate cake or similar. Any ideas? TIA

32oscar, May 26, 6:52am
well I use normal yoghurt in muffins so I would think you could put in dairy food in chocolate and ?? (berry, or orange etc) muffins... yum!!

carlos57, May 26, 6:57am
Hmmm, muffins sound good - might have to experiment :)

marcs, May 26, 10:44am
Alison Holsts chocolate muffins. Will post recipe shortly

245sam, May 26, 10:56am
carlos57, how about a chocolate trifle?Like others I made this at Christmas time using brianmac's (now known as cookessentials') recipe and homemade chocolate custard instead of the chocolate mousse or dairy food.Normally I'm not a great fan of trifle but IMO this is a chocolate lover's delight.Here, from Trademe Cooks, is brianmac's recipe.....

"Black Forrest Trifle
buy an ernest Adams (or similar) cream filled sponge roll (chocolate) cut into slices to line a glass bowl. Soak with a little brandy or orange juice. Throw in frozen boysenberries (thaw them slightly in microwave.) Use two tubs of Tararua Choc mousee and make up as per instructions. Pour over fruit/sponge mixture. Whip cream and spread over top. Refrigerate till serving. Before serving,grate chocolate over the top. posted by brianmac

Comments Below Are All on the Above Recipe By Brianmac/Cookessentials

Thank you for the best Cmas Trifle ever. Just home from Camping Holiday and wanted to thank you for the yummiest Trifle ever a new Family favourite to be repeated next year at all the families request layer choc sponge (we had a little rum on ours ) frozen boysenberries choc mousse (Tararua) more boysenberries (Canned) whipped cream grated flake Happy New Year everyone. posted by blou

snap blou!! i made it too. our famliy all love desserts and it is a tradition to make trifle, but to be honest the younger generation are not keen. i made this one too this year.i used a tine of drained boysenberries (which turn into a mush really). i put brandy on the chocolate sponge roll. then i used fresh rasperries. i made up two packets of creggs chocolate mousse,cream,berries and grated chocolate. it was DELICIOUS!! an every year dessert from now on! posted by lynja

I made it too for Christmas Day and was so yummy, easy as well, left it in fridge overnight for flavours to develop. posted by jeanette12

Thanks Cookessentials Got this recipe off you just before Christmas 2007 and it was and still is a huge hit. posted by cap

Glad you like my recipe! You can also make your own chocolate mousse and if you cant get the Tararua Mousse, use about 6 pottles of chocolate viguer -not the same as the mousse, but is fine. The recipe is usually with the jar of cherries, but i prefer the flavour of the boysenberries-I also do it using mixed frozen berries such as boysenberries,blueberries and raspberries - i do mine in a large gooted hurricane lamp/vase and it looks fabulous. It is always nicer the next day too - if it lasts so try making it the day before needed,covered, without the cream on top, then just pop the whipped cream and grated chocolate on the top before serving. posted by cookessentials":-))

carlos57, May 26, 6:39pm
Thank you! Those ideas sound great :)

cookessentials, May 26, 6:50pm
Hey 245sam, thank you for posting the recipe for carlos57. I am not a trifle person either, but the chocolate one is delicious. The good old dairy food worked well when I could not get the mousse or be bothered making a mousse.

carlos57, May 27, 6:51am
We have a surplus of chocolate dairyfood, and I'm wondering if I could use some in baking. I'm thinking maybe a chocolate cake or similar. Any ideas! TIA

32oscar, May 27, 6:52am
well I use normal yoghurt in muffins so I would think you could put in dairy food in chocolate and ! (berry, or orange etc) muffins. yum!

marcs, May 27, 10:44am
Alison Holsts double chocolate muffins. Make them and freeze them.

1 & 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder

100g butter melted (can use 100 grams of oil instead. Need to weigh it)
1 egg
1 cup yoghurt (I use fruity youghurt)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

1/4 - 1/2 cup choc chips

Pre heat oven at 220c fan forced.
Sift all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix all wet ingredients in another bowl. Mix wet to dry and mix till only just comined. Put into muffin cups and bake for 10 - 12 minutes. Once cool freeze them and take them out as needed.

245sam, May 27, 10:56am
carlos57, how about a chocolate trifle!Like others I made this at Christmas time using brianmac's (now known as cookessentials') recipe and homemade chocolate custard instead of the chocolate mousse or dairy food.Normally I'm not a great fan of trifle but IMO this is a chocolate lover's delight.Here, from Trademe Cooks, is brianmac's recipe.

"Black Forrest Trifle
buy an ernest Adams (or similar) cream filled sponge roll (chocolate) cut into slices to line a glass bowl. Soak with a little brandy or orange juice. Throw in frozen boysenberries (thaw them slightly in microwave.) Use two tubs of Tararua Choc mousee and make up as per instructions. Pour over fruit/sponge mixture. Whip cream and spread over top. Refrigerate till serving. Before serving,grate chocolate over the top. posted by brianmac

Comments Below Are All on the Above Recipe By Brianmac/Cookessentials

Thank you for the best Cmas Trifle ever. Just home from Camping Holiday and wanted to thank you for the yummiest Trifle ever a new Family favourite to be repeated next year at all the families request layer choc sponge (we had a little rum on ours ) frozen boysenberries choc mousse (Tararua) more boysenberries (Canned) whipped cream grated flake Happy New Year everyone. posted by blou

snap blou! i made it too. our famliy all love desserts and it is a tradition to make trifle, but to be honest the younger generation are not keen. i made this one too this year.i used a tine of drained boysenberries (which turn into a mush really). i put brandy on the chocolate sponge roll. then i used fresh rasperries. i made up two packets of creggs chocolate mousse,cream,berries and grated chocolate. it was DELICIOUS! an every year dessert from now on! posted by lynja

I made it too for Christmas Day and was so yummy, easy as well, left it in fridge overnight for flavours to develop. posted by jeanette12

Thanks Cookessentials Got this recipe off you just before Christmas 2007 and it was and still is a huge hit. posted by cap

Glad you like my recipe! You can also make your own chocolate mousse and if you cant get the Tararua Mousse, use about 6 pottles of chocolate viguer -not the same as the mousse, but is fine. The recipe is usually with the jar of cherries, but i prefer the flavour of the boysenberries-I also do it using mixed frozen berries such as boysenberries,blueberries and raspberries - i do mine in a large gooted hurricane lamp/vase and it looks fabulous. It is always nicer the next day too - if it lasts so try making it the day before needed,covered, without the cream on top, then just pop the whipped cream and grated chocolate on the top before serving. posted by cookessentials":-))