Wet Cured Bacon (Danish Style) Recipe In Here

shop-a-holic, May 25, 11:37pm
In a pot with 2 litres of water, dissolve 200gms of salt and 60gms of dark brown sugar. Whilst the water is heating add around a table spoon of the following, bashed up in a pestle and mortar: black peppercorns, coriander seeds, carraway seeds, juniper berries, 3-4 bay leaves, and cumin seeds. You can add anything you desire :-)
Allow your mixture to cool completely before adding fresh pork.
Cuts which I use are: Belly (streaky bacon) rib bone off; rolled Loin (eye fillet bacon) or topside (end fillet of leg pork, aitch bone removed).
You can use shoulder if you like. Any piece will do.
Submerge in your cooled brine, for 24 hours per kilo of pork. If your pork is less than a kilo eg: 800gms or 900gms still brine it for a day.Sometimes if my rolled loin is 1.2kgs I may even leave it in the brine for 28-30 hours.
The pork may float in your brine, so use a luncheon/salad plate to add a weight. Pork must be completely submerged.
Place in fridge.
When time is up, remove from brine, rinse, wipe down with paper towels, wrap in baking paper, place in plastic box and put back in the fridge.
Bacon will last up to 10-14 days. But it doesn't even last 2 days in my house.
Don't throw the brine out (smells amazing); slip in another piece of pork! Brine one day per kilo.
Instead of water, try using beer, cider, apple juice. Experiment a little.
WARNING: This is addictive.

griffo4, May 26, 3:04am
Thanks for this l will give it a try

jbsouthland, May 26, 3:11am
Sounds interesting....how long can you continue using the same brine for ?

pog_mo_thoin, May 26, 3:59am
would this work with ribs ? ....miss bacon ribs cant find them any where for sale

shop-a-holic, May 26, 11:37pm
In a pot with 2 litres of water, dissolve 200gms of salt (Plain Table Salt. Do not use Iodised Salt) and 60gms of dark brown sugar.
Whilst the water is heating add around a table spoon of the following, bashed up in a pestle and mortar: black peppercorns, coriander seeds, carraway seeds, juniper berries, 3-4 bay leaves, and cumin seeds. You can add anything you desire :-)
Allow your mixture to cool completely before adding fresh pork.
Cuts which I use are: Belly (streaky bacon) rib bone off; rolled Loin (eye fillet bacon) or topside (end fillet of leg pork, aitch bone removed).
You can use shoulder if you like. Any piece will do.
Submerge in your cooled brine, for 24 hours per kilo of pork. If your pork is less than a kilo eg: 800gms or 900gms still brine it for a day.Sometimes if my rolled loin is 1.2kgs I may even leave it in the brine for 28-30 hours.
The pork may float in your brine, so use a luncheon/salad plate to add a weight. Pork must be completely submerged.
Place in fridge.
When time is up, remove from brine, rinse, wipe down with paper towels, wrap in baking paper, place in plastic box and put back in the fridge.
Bacon will last up to 10-14 days. But it doesn't even last 2 days in my house.
Don't throw the brine out (smells amazing); slip in another piece of pork! Brine one day per kilo.
Instead of water, try using beer, cider, apple juice. Experiment a little.
WARNING: This is addictive.

jbsouthland, May 27, 3:11am
Sounds interesting.how long can you continue using the same brine for !

pog_mo_thoin, May 27, 3:59am
would this work with ribs ! .miss bacon ribs cant find them any where for sale