HELP?? my rumpot is frothing.

korbo, Jan 31, 9:14am
have be so eager to do this rumpot thing. got it all sorted, but today i noticed the last lot of strawberries have all gone kinda mouldy/frothy. . I managed to get them all out of the jar.
Does anyone who has made this, got any ideas. i have started a new one with peaches and apricots... . thanks.

cookessentials, Jan 31, 8:52pm
I wonder if it is the humidity that is turning the strawberries?

winnie231, Feb 1, 5:50am
What ratio of sugar to fruit did you use & what % alcohol?

korbo, Feb 1, 9:23am
ohh winnie, i cant remember, didnt really notice. used coruba black rumm. i am sure what cookess says, the humidity in the strawberries, just had another look, and seems to be ok now... still would like more info tho... ...
winnie what do you do. ? ? ? ? thanks

korbo, Feb 2, 7:44am
. .

winnie231, Feb 2, 8:45am
I hope your brew is ok!
This is the recipe I followed - and it's looking good so far:

In a separate bowl cover the fruit with an equal weight of granulated sugar and allow to sit for one hour.
Place the fruit, sugar and any juices left in the bowl into the rumpot.
Pour in just enough rum to cover the fruit.
Weigh the fruit down with a clean saucer or plate and place the lid firmly onto the rumpot.
Store in a cool place away from heat and sunlight.

Adding additional layers of fruit:
For each additional layer of fruit follow the instructions above, but use only half as much sugar.
After the fruit and sugar has rested for one hour, gently add this mixture onto the earlier layer.
Do not mix the fruits.
Add more rum to cover the new layer.
Replace the saucer or plate and cover with the lid.

Throughout the summer, repeat the process for each new fruit until your Rumpot is full.
Then allow the entire mixture to sit for another 4 to 6 weeks.

The rum I'm using is Roaring Forties Rum 57. 5% which is made in Nelson.

korbo, Feb 2, 5:35pm
thanks winnie, so far it looks ok. have it in the dark place in the pantry, as not many other places to keep it.

winnie231, Jul 25, 10:04pm
I've got mine in a cupboard in the laundry.
I've found the trick with the plate a big help -I was concerned when I read your post that maybe your strawbs were floating on top & being exposed to air as this could allow them to go off.
Good luck with it!