Fish head soup

stasi21, Mar 31, 7:06am
bump.so it doesnt disappear!

whitehead., Mar 31, 7:23am
she must have loved her grand father very much

rozke, Mar 31, 10:42am
my mother boiled fish heads frames for 1 and 1/2 hrs.take the frames and head out.Put through a sieve .Add milk and rice, lots of chopped parsley and 1 wholeonion diced, salt and pepper.Simmered til rice was soft approx 1/2 hr.DO NOT BOIL.serve with toast was lovely.

janny3, Mar 31, 12:58pm
Edmonds cookbook has a nice fish soup recipe from the stock made w/ fish heads and frames.Really a nice soup.

margocooke, May 21, 4:20am
my grand mother used to make a yummy fish head soup but of cource none of the family know how to make it does any one have a easy yum recipe for me to try please

helpless, May 21, 8:31pm
Highly technical:

Throw heads in a pot of water..simmer 20 minutes.
Strain and retain liquid.
Fry off some onions/garlic/ginger/ maybe half a chilli for a bit of heat in olive oil.
Throw the juice of a lemon in there and the rind of one lemon.
Add strained fish liquid and any other veg you want to put in there.
Salt/Pepper it for taste.
Simmer till veg are done.
Chuck in some noodles
Simmer 5 stirring so noodles don't stick to the pot.
Add a bit of chopped cheap fish (trevaly) to your hot plated soup.
Add some cream for some body..
Eat.

pickles7, May 21, 9:03pm
You forgot to say, pick the heads out, throw them onto some news paper and gather the kids around to try and beat you to the best bits. I had a daughter who would share the eyes with her grandfather.

helpless, May 22, 8:31pm
Highly technical:

Throw heads in a pot of water.simmer 20 minutes.
Strain and retain liquid.
Fry off some onions/garlic/ginger/ maybe half a chilli for a bit of heat in olive oil.
Throw the juice of a lemon in there and the rind of one lemon.
Add strained fish liquid and any other veg you want to put in there.
Salt/Pepper it for taste.
Simmer till veg are done.
Chuck in some noodles
Simmer 5 stirring so noodles don't stick to the pot.
Add a bit of chopped cheap fish (trevaly) to your hot plated soup.
Add some cream for some body.
Eat.

margocooke, May 23, 8:17pm
thanks for this Im not so sure about the fish eyes thoe

deus701, May 24, 3:05am
is it like a savoury clear soup? Some fish head soup has milk added to it. I have no problems eating fish head.. eg fish head curry. Only problem is lack of meat.

pickles7, May 24, 11:05am
Succulent fish, in the cheek's though. yummy

beaker59, May 24, 11:10am
I tend to simmer my fish stock allot longer probably an hour or more the key is to not boil strongly and skim the surface.

janny3, May 24, 1:18pm
The cheeks meat makes wonderful fish cakes.

An old lady showed me to always start w/ a good stock.

She'd pop some fresh thyme, parsley & chopped onions & a few peppercorns & bayleaf into the pot while simmering the heads.Toss some frames in that stock if you have, as well for the extra flavour.A squeeze of lemon or white vinegar will help bring out some of the goodness in the bones.If you've had any smoked fish, pop the frame, skin, head, any uneaten smoked fish into the stock pot too.Even left over bits in the fridge like 1/2 tomatoes, squeeze of lemon/lime juice and yes even cleaned potato & carrot peelings. You're straining everything out so its flavour you're adding to your stock.

A good stock truly makes the base of your soup.

deus701, May 25, 3:05am
is it like a savoury clear soup! Some fish head soup has milk added to it. I have no problems eating fish head. eg fish head curry. Only problem is lack of meat.

pickles7, May 25, 11:05am
Succulent fish, in the cheek's though. yummy

janny3, May 25, 1:18pm
The cheeks meat makes wonderful fish cakes.

An old lady showed me to always start w/ a good stock.

She'd pop some fresh thyme, parsley & chopped onions & a few peppercorns & bayleaf into the pot while simmering the heads.Toss some frames in that stock if you have, as well for the extra flavour.A squeeze of lemon or white vinegar will help bring out some of the goodness in the bones.If you've had any smoked fish, pop the frame, skin, head, any uneaten smoked fish into the stock pot too.Even left over bits in the fridge like 1/2 tomatoes, squeeze of lemon/lime juice and yes even cleaned potato & carrot peelings. You're straining everything out so its flavour you're adding to your stock.

A good stock truly makes the base of your soup.

BTW:I knew a guy who'd put a bacon bone into his fish stock pot for another flavour.Smelled divine, tasted better.

uli, Mar 30, 8:32am

motorbo, Mar 30, 9:34am
my mum used to make this and its simple but delish.fresh fish stock from heads, skimmed so its clear, add rice and parsley salt and pepper

beaker59, Mar 30, 10:11pm
Just discovered smoked snapper heads now it will only be frames for the stock pot :)

uli, Mar 31, 7:18am
I add more cut up fish fillets instead of the rice :)

motorbo, Mar 31, 11:56am
of course you would and even better if you can comment on what i say huh.leave it uli dont mess me when it comes to my mother. a wee bit of rice never killed anyone.

uli, Apr 1, 6:00am
Who said that a "wee bit of rice" killed anyone!

What was said was: "I add more cut up fish fillets instead of the rice :)"

If that "messes" with your mother - then go and have a little sit-down and breathe.

Then come back to the topic of fish head soup.

kay141, Apr 1, 6:16am
Did you drag up a thread which was several years old just to stir!