making mayonnaise/tartare sauce etc

sophia4, Mar 15, 5:51am
Hey Cooks,
I just made a cup of mayo/tartare sauce and it was yummy but as a healthy sort of person I get the guilts just looking at it - it is effectively after all 'oil sauce'! Not only the fat content but my stomach doesn't enjoy processing oily food most of the time.
I'm looking for a recipe for something tasty like that but with less oil. Is it chemically impossible to make mayo without large amounts of oil? It did take a certain amount of oil to go thick when I made it, but would it have gone thick anyway if I'd just processed it for longer?
Have looked through the mayo section on trademecooks, they are all lots of oil type recipes. Not keen on the condensed milk version as too sweet for me.
Any thoughts? thanks in advance

kulkkulbelle, Mar 15, 6:00am
I copied and pasted this into my recipes a few days ago, but have never tried it myself.

Healthy Low-Cal Olive Oil Mayonnaise

2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup evaporated whole milk
1 teaspoon honey
1 large egg
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup virgin olive oil

This recipe isn’t hard but the first time you prepare it, it may seem tedious. After you’ve made it several times you’ll find that it goes together quite quickly and takes little effort on the part of the cook.

Use a saucepan that doesn't catch easily.

Measure the cornstarch, salt, dry mustard and cayenne into the pan. Mix with a fork to blend. Stir in the evaporated milk, honey and egg. Cook and stir the mixture over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Stir frequently and keep an eye on it because it will boil before you expect. When the mixture boils whisk it briskly to cream out any lumps. The dressing will be very thick. Remove the pan from the heat.

Measure the lemon juice, vinegar and olive oil into the pot with the warm dressing. Using electric beaters, or a whisk and sturdy arm, beat the mixture smooth.

Pour the dressing into a pint-sized jar. Lay a small piece of plastic wrap directly atop of the mayonnaise. Make sure it touches the entire surface. Screw the lid lightly onto the jar and place it in the refrigerator. When the mixture has cooled sufficiently you may remove and discard the plastic wrap. Hot milk mixtures tend to form a skin on top as they cool. Covering the surface with plastic wrap prevents that skin from forming.

This mayonnaise will keep for at least 2 weeks in the refrigerator. It may be used anywhere you would normally use mayonnaise. Most store-bought versions of light-mayonnaise have questionable ingredients added to them for thickening and preservation. This version tastes much better than most brands of store-bought light mayonnaise. It is less expensive and makes use of healthy olive oil instead of low quality vegetable oils that have been extracted with solvents and other chemicals. It’s a wholesome alternative to manufactured light mayonnaise. This recipe and store-bought light mayonnaise are completely interchangeable.
Evaporated whole milk is used to prepare this mayonnaise because it gives the finished product the richness it needs to stand up to meat or pasta salads. It’s also the least likely to curdle when you add the vinegar and lemon juice which makes things easier on the cook.

Makes a little more than 1-1/2 cups or about 25 tablespoons. Each1-tablespoon = 40 Calories; 3g Fat (70. 2% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 11mg Cholesterol; 99mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

For a sweeter version, similar to miracle whip, replace the honey with 1 tablespoon raw sugar and increase the vinegar to 1/4-cup.

Everything else stays the same.

korbo, Nov 6, 9:17pm
try the lite cond milk, i find it not so sweet,