Condensed milk alternative?

lauremma, May 17, 9:56pm
my daughter has a recipe for cookies that she likes to make and it has condensed milk listed in the ingredients.It's not something I normally house in the house and not going to buy it for 3tbsp.Is there something else we could substitute it with?

sarahj1, May 17, 10:01pm
If its for choc chip cookies just use another recipe - there are millions of them on the net and others are just as good.

245sam, May 17, 10:09pm
lauremma, do you have milk powder?If so, maybe you, or your daughter, could make some sweetened condensed milk.:-))

dezzie, May 17, 11:37pm
You used to be able to get condensed milk in like a toothpaste tube, which would be good for your daughters recipe because it could be resealed then put in the fridge for the next time she wanted to make it, I agree that buying a whole tin to use 3 tablespoons would be a bit of a waste, but maybe the tubes are still available.

dice4, May 17, 11:46pm
an egg instead of condensed milk also works.

buzzy110, May 18, 1:16am
That is an excellent suggestion. Today I carefully checked out the inside shelves at the local supermarket to see what is new and I saw that they did indeed have condensed milk in a squeezy tube. Just squeeze out what you want, screw the lid back on and store the rest in the fridge.

gusthe1, May 18, 2:47am
buy a tin and use the leftover on your weetbix in the morning. Nomnomnomnom

jennyfenny1, May 18, 10:59am
i has this same dilemma but someone told me you can just freeze what you don't use from the can in a little container and it lasts for ages (ie. til the next time you want to make choc chip cookies!)
worked really well when i tried it and bonus is that it doesn't freeze compleatly solid so when you go to use just another couple of spoonfuls you just take what you need, no defrosting of the whole lot or anything :)

nauru, May 18, 12:02pm
I always do this and it works very well with no waste and always on hand when needed.The tubes are ok but I think they work out more expensive than cans.

gardie, May 18, 4:43pm
You can also freeze condensed milk although it doesn't go rock hard.It keeps for ages.Edited to add - and it was the one way that I could get my children to eat weetbix!

lauremma, May 18, 9:56pm
my daughter has a recipe for cookies that she likes to make and it has condensed milk listed in the ingredients.It's not something I normally house in the house and not going to buy it for 3tbsp.Is there something else we could substitute it with!

245sam, May 18, 10:09pm
lauremma, do you have milk powder!If so, maybe you, or your daughter, could make some sweetened condensed milk.:-))

kinna54, May 19, 3:14am
2nd to freezing it. I do it all the time, and If only wanting to use a wee bit at a time freeze in little containers, or ice cube trays. Once opened even in a tube condensed milk in a fridge should only be kept for a week.

jennyfenny1, May 19, 10:59am
i has this same dilemma but someone told me you can just freeze what you don't use from the can in a little container and it lasts for ages (ie. til the next time you want to make choc chip cookies!)
worked really well when i tried it and bonus is that it doesn't freeze compleatly solid so when you go to use just another couple of spoonfuls you just take what you need, no defrosting of the whole lot or anything :)

gardie, May 19, 4:43pm
You can also freeze condensed milk although it doesn't go rock hard.It keeps for ages.Edited to add - and it was the one way that I could get my children to eat weetbix!

jennyfenny1, May 22, 9:33pm
yeah last time that i went to buy a can just out of curiousity i looked to see how much a tube was... very expensive for very little!

horizons_, May 22, 10:55pm
I have kept leftover c. milk in the fridge for months (acutally I think it was over a year) and then used it for mayonnaise, which took several months to use up. No problems or poisoning lol.

jennyfenny1, May 23, 9:33pm
yeah last time that i went to buy a can just out of curiousity i looked to see how much a tube was. very expensive for very little!