A Question about Ginger?

mummysjs, May 17, 6:38am
I have a recipe that calls for 'preserved' ginger, is this the same as 'crystallised' ginger?Thanks

cookessentials, May 17, 7:09am
preserved ginger usually comes in a jar/sealed pack in a sugar syrup as opposed to crystalised which is dry and sugar coated.

245sam, May 17, 7:37am
mummysjs, can I ask what your recipe is for and also the age, if you know if, of the recipe.
IMO, the answer to your question depends on the age of your recipe.....When I was growing up, here in NZ, there was only one type of preserved ginger that wasreadily available i.e. what we now know of as crystallised ginger, hence whenever a recipe required preserved ginger it was always the crystallised version that was required.Like many other food items the preserved ginger in syrup was a very rare find and certainly not one that would have been found in many homes and/or recipes in earlier times.:-))

mummysjs, May 17, 7:55am
Thanks for your replies.... it's for a Rhubarb Jam, a recipe that is listed in the latest NZ Gardner HomeGrown series - Homegrown Recipes.It's a reader's recipe that I thought I would try as it sounds so yummy.Don't know how old it is though.

245sam, May 17, 9:11am
mummsjs, is this the recipe or is it something similar to this one?
RHUBARB JAM
Ingredients For every 2kg rhubarb allow: • 4 apples • 2kg sugar • 112g
preserved ginger • the rind and juice of 1 lemon
Cut up the rhubarb and spread on paper.Allow to dry for 3-4 days, turning each day.
Peel and core apples, reserving fl esh. Boil peel and cores in a little water, then strain.
Pour the strained apple liquid into a pan and allow 1 cup sugar to each cup of liquid. Add remaining sugar gradually until it’s melted, then when syrup is boiling briskly, add rhubarb and fl esh of apples, and boil till it sets when tested. Add chopped up ginger, lemon rind and juice just before
putting the jam into hot, sterilised jars.

IMO it would be crystallised ginger that you would be needing for the jam and I'm sure it would be more cost effective too.

Hope that helps.:-))

rosathemad, May 17, 10:10am
Also, for a lot of recipes they are more or less interchangeable - especially if you're grating or processing the ginger, but I'd say in a jam you could use either as well. :-)

mummysjs, May 18, 6:38am
I have a recipe that calls for 'preserved' ginger, is this the same as 'crystallised' ginger!Thanks

245sam, May 18, 7:37am
mummysjs, can I ask what your recipe is for and also the age, if you know it, of the recipe!
IMO, the answer to your question depends on the age of your recipe.When I was growing up, here in NZ, there was only one type of preserved ginger that wasreadily available i.e. what we now know of as crystallised ginger, hence whenever a recipe required preserved ginger it was always the crystallised version that was required.Like many other food items the preserved ginger in syrup was a very rare find and certainly not one that would have been found in many homes and/or recipes in earlier times.:-))

mummysjs, May 18, 7:55am
Thanks for your replies. it's for a Rhubarb Jam, a recipe that is listed in the latest NZ Gardner HomeGrown series - Homegrown Recipes.It's a reader's recipe that I thought I would try as it sounds so yummy.Don't know how old it is though.

245sam, May 18, 9:11am
mummsjs, is this the recipe or is it something similar to this one!
RHUBARB JAM
Ingredients For every 2kg rhubarb allow: • 4 apples • 2kg sugar • 112g
preserved ginger • the rind and juice of 1 lemon
Cut up the rhubarb and spread on paper.Allow to dry for 3-4 days, turning each day.
Peel and core apples, reserving fl esh. Boil peel and cores in a little water, then strain.
Pour the strained apple liquid into a pan and allow 1 cup sugar to each cup of liquid. Add remaining sugar gradually until it’s melted, then when syrup is boiling briskly, add rhubarb and fl esh of apples, and boil till it sets when tested. Add chopped up ginger, lemon rind and juice just before
putting the jam into hot, sterilised jars.

IMO it would be crystallised ginger that you would be needing for the jam and I'm sure it would be more cost effective too.

Hope that helps.:-))

rosathemad, May 18, 10:10am
Also, for a lot of recipes they are more or less interchangeable - especially if you're grating or processing the ginger, but I'd say in a jam you could use either as well. :-)