Bacon and Egg Pie

bexta021, May 16, 7:08pm
Does anyone have any secret ingredients that they put in their pie, apart from the obvious.

bluecalico, May 16, 7:35pm
I like the Edmonds recipe where you put in some tomato relish on top of the bacon....also a bit of grated cheese on the bottom of the pastry base stops it from going soggy.

jbsouthland, May 16, 7:59pm
we boil the onion and bacon abit before....friend adds very thinly sliced cookedpotato in hers ...very nice and tiny amount of chicken stock powder.Adds both beaten anda fewwhole eggs ...though breaks the yolk . Yum just what we need on this cold stormy day.

beebs, May 16, 8:28pm
my biggest battle is the pastry, avoiding the soggy bum, what are you tips?

jbsouthland, May 16, 8:34pm
Put Pietin on top of an oven tray that has already been heated up...apparently that helps esp with pizzas....though haven't tried it as yet myself....crisps up the bums !

beebs, May 16, 9:10pm
just want im looking for, a crispy bum! I will try it tonight!

popeye333, May 16, 11:07pm
To fix the soggy bums.... put a layer of grated cheese on the pastry first.

Since I started doing this years ago I have never had a soggy bottom since.

I put baking paper in the bottom of the tin.. Then pastry then grated cheese. Then I usually put chopped onions, whole eggs. Bacon that I have cooked in the microwave to drain out any liquid. Then eggs mixed with milk and salt and pepper.Then topped with pastry again

beebs, May 16, 11:28pm
thanks popeye

elleg, May 17, 12:03am
I've found if you start the pie off lower in the oven and then move it up about half way through, the bum crisps up nicely.

jbsouthland, May 17, 2:32am
that sounds good too.I'll have to make a bacon and egg Pie this weekend...lovely hot or cold !!

bluecalico, May 17, 7:35pm
I like the Edmonds recipe where you put in some tomato relish on top of the bacon.also a bit of grated cheese on the bottom of the pastry base stops it from going soggy.

beebs, May 17, 7:42pm
update, used the cheese, oven tray and baking paper and lower down and it was perfect!Im not sure which or all were responsible, but am happy to bake them that way in the future, thanks

jbsouthland, May 17, 7:59pm
we boil the onion and bacon abit before.friend adds very thinly sliced cookedpotato in hers .very nice and tiny amount of chicken stock powder.Adds both beaten anda fewwhole eggs .though breaks the yolk . Yum just what we need on this cold stormy day.

beebs, May 17, 8:28pm
my biggest battle is the pastry, avoiding the soggy bum, what are you tips!

jbsouthland, May 17, 8:34pm
Put Pietin on top of an oven tray that has already been heated up.apparently that helps esp with pizzas.though haven't tried it as yet myself.crisps up the bums !

popeye333, May 17, 11:07pm
To fix the soggy bums. put a layer of grated cheese on the pastry first.

Since I started doing this years ago I have never had a soggy bottom since.

I put baking paper in the bottom of the tin. Then pastry then grated cheese. Then I usually put chopped onions, whole eggs. Bacon that I have cooked in the microwave to drain out any liquid. Then eggs mixed with milk and salt and pepper.Then topped with pastry again

elleg, May 18, 12:03am
I've found if you start the pie off lower in the oven and then move it up about half way through, the bum crisps up nicely.

popeye333, May 18, 1:34am
Awesome beebs.. Probably a mixture of both helped... I always use cheese in mine.The tip came from Jo Seager years ago.

tarshlove, May 18, 2:21am
I too use the cheese ........ I love the cheese :o)

I think when you use the cheese that it's less soggy which then makes the bottom fluff and crisp more :o)

jbsouthland, May 18, 2:32am
that sounds good too.I'll have to make a bacon and egg Pie this weekend.lovely hot or cold !

gardie, May 18, 6:36am
Agree with the cheese - a spread of pesto in B & E Pie is most excellent.

popeye333, May 19, 1:34am
Awesome beebs. Probably a mixture of both helped. I always use cheese in mine.The tip came from Jo Seager years ago.

tarshlove, May 19, 2:21am
I too use the cheese . I love the cheese :o)

I think when you use the cheese that it's less soggy which then makes the bottom fluff and crisp more :o)