Lamb Shanks?? Need to use an oven recipe-NO TOMATO

shaddowqueen, May 14, 5:21am
Been looking at a few places on the net, cant seem to find a recipe without tomato. It cant be that hard can it? I just want to slow roast them in the oven, so they have a nice gravy sauce as well, but still fall off the bone. Red wine or something maybe....any ideas?

olwen, May 14, 5:27am

shaddowqueen, May 14, 5:27am
Just re-read and realise i didnt use my manners and say please! apologies

no1heather, May 14, 5:28am
the uktv link is a good recipe, very tasty

shaddowqueen, May 14, 5:30am
Thank you Olwen and thanks heather, think i might try that one! and thanks for google tip olwen, i'm sure ill use it heaps!

winnie231, May 14, 5:40am
I cooked lamb shanks last week with a recipe from one of the good folks here and it was soooo good!
I'll go find it and post it here soon ...

winnie231, May 14, 5:47am
Here it is ... and thanks illusion - your recipe is supurb!!
Have to say I used Smoke & Spiced Solar Salt instead of plain salt and Barkers Apple & Mint Jelly instead of mint sauce.

Easy way - FORGET the crockpot.
Lay out large sheet of tinfoil. Lay on top a sheet of baking paper. Lay shanks on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, drizzle with mint sauce. Wrap baking paper, then tinfoil into parcels (one inside the other). Place in a 160 degree oven for 3 to 4 hours. Remove, open parcel, serve. Meat will be tender, gelatinous and falling off the bone. AND NO MESS ;) illusion_

sathan81, May 14, 10:44pm
i tried this last weekend and it was yummy

fisher, May 15, 5:11am
Roasted Lamb Shanks with Mint Glaze
Serve with kumara and potato mash and green vegetables
4-8 lamb shanks..1/4 cup thick mint sauce..1/4 cup liquid honey..2 tbsp crushed ginger..2 tbsp soy sauce..2 tbsp brown sugar..
Place all glaze ingredients in a bowl and mix well... Line a roasting pan with foil leaving a generous overhang. Place the lamb shanks in pan..
Brush generously with the glaze. Fold over and seal foil so that shanks are completely enclosed.... Reserve remaining glaze
Cook in oven at 160C for 11/2 - 1 3/4 hrs. Uncover shanks, baste with remaining glaze - return to oven for a further 30 - 40 mins uncovered
Baste with glaze in the pan 3 or 4 more times and turn once......

shaddowqueen, May 15, 5:21am
Been looking at a few places on the net, cant seem to find a recipe without tomato. It cant be that hard can it! I just want to slow roast them in the oven, so they have a nice gravy sauce as well, but still fall off the bone. Red wine or something maybe.any ideas!

olwen, May 15, 5:27am

shaddowqueen, May 15, 5:30am
Thank you Olwen and thanks heather, think i might try that one! and thanks for google tip olwen, i'm sure ill use it heaps!

winnie231, May 15, 5:40am
I cooked lamb shanks last week with a recipe from one of the good folks here and it was soooo good!
I'll go find it and post it here soon .

joker13, May 15, 5:41am
Yum - did this last night and was exactly like you and not wanting the tomato thing. Brown shanks and put into casserole with 100mls port and 1/4 cup of red wine per shank. Add finely chopped carrot, a couple of red onions, 1Tlbspn brown sugar, loads rosemary and a whole head of garlic chopped. Cook them for absolutely ages at 150 deg. I reduced the sauce down to half in a saucepan and then wizzed it until smooth. Divine. Rich dark and the best ever. I also made kumara mash with a tonne of wasabi in it.

winnie231, May 15, 5:47am
Here it is . and thanks illusion - your recipe is supurb!
Have to say I used Smoke & Spiced Solar Salt instead of plain salt and Barkers Apple & Mint Jelly instead of mint sauce.

Easy way - FORGET the crockpot.
Lay out large sheet of tinfoil. Lay on top a sheet of baking paper. Lay shanks on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, drizzle with mint sauce. Wrap baking paper, then tinfoil into parcels (one inside the other). Place in a 160 degree oven for 3 to 4 hours. Remove, open parcel, serve. Meat will be tender, gelatinous and falling off the bone. AND NO MESS ;) illusion_

tinamac, May 15, 9:50am
Google Jax Masterchef lamb shanks .Her recipe is just yummy and very easy.(And no tomato)

fisher, May 16, 5:11am
Roasted Lamb Shanks with Mint Glaze
Serve with kumara and potato mash and green vegetables
4-8 lamb shanks.1/4 cup thick mint sauce.1/4 cup liquid honey.2 tbsp crushed ginger.2 tbsp soy sauce.2 tbsp brown sugar.
Place all glaze ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Line a roasting pan with foil leaving a generous overhang. Place the lamb shanks in pan.
Brush generously with the glaze. Fold over and seal foil so that shanks are completely enclosed. Reserve remaining glaze
Cook in oven at 160C for 11/2 - 1 3/4 hrs. Uncover shanks, baste with remaining glaze - return to oven for a further 30 - 40 mins uncovered
Baste with glaze in the pan 3 or 4 more times and turn once.