why is my silver side always tough

bananabear, Mar 15, 2:39am
whenever I cook this its always tough and a little dry other peoples silverside seems to be moist and tender I cook it slow with golden syrup, pepper corns and a bayleaf should it be simmering or just cooking or? ? ? Thanks :)

mwood, Mar 15, 2:45am
you also need to acidify the water to help soften the sinews and tissues - a good dash of vinegar or toss in 1/2 a lemon.

ry5, Mar 15, 2:45am
Are you carving in the right direction? Sometimes it's tough if you don't carve against the grain.

bananabear, Mar 15, 2:49am
have just put it on and added some vinegar, havnt noticed the way I have cut it will try against the grain :)

kulkkulbelle, Mar 15, 3:14am
Banana - I think it can only be you are not cooking it slow and long enough

bananabear, Mar 15, 3:17am
ok kulkkulbelle I thought I was over cooking it should it be simmering?

harrislucinda, Mar 15, 3:25am
ifnotin acrockpotandon astoveyesjustundersimmeringplaceabayleafin andshouldbeonnearly all day

mwood, Mar 15, 3:31am
With some of the on special stuff it's not easy to judge - I pot it with the additives then bring it to the boil. Switch off leave it for a few hours - switch back on - do this 3 or 4 times - even over 2 days. This will cook it nicely without boiling the guts out of it. Also keep it in a bowl of the liquid you cooked it in the fridge. Crock pot cooking can make these specials too stringy and they shrink - plump and moist is good.

bananabear, Mar 15, 3:35am
oh so we wont be eating till tommorow whoops lol

245sam, Mar 15, 3:42am
bananabear, that's correct - no silverside today - if you'd wanted silverside for this evening's meal, whether cooked in a crockpot/slowcooker or on the stove-top, IMO that silverside should have been put on to cook this morning and not mid-afternoon.
I have never cooked silverside in the microwave and I'm definitely not suggesting that you do so but that is the only way that I believe that you could have silverside when it's not on cooking before mid-afternoon - unless of course, you have an evening meal very very late in the evening/night. :-))

bananabear, Mar 15, 3:57am
have decided to have it for tommorow nights tea :) looks like take out tonight :)

kulkkulbelle, Mar 15, 4:03am
Long and simmer, barely on. . I like to leave most of the day, I use a simmer mat (have gas)...

maxwell.inc, Mar 15, 4:07am
I do mine on low in the CP for 10+ hours. with a good splash of vinegar (and all the other goodies I chuck in there) never dry.

kulkkulbelle, Mar 15, 4:21am
It's such a comfort food isn't it... ... . I feela Jam Roly Poly coming on!

timetable, Nov 3, 1:18am
i always put a bit of brown sugar, whole peppercorns and a couple of bay leaves in mine... . * posted on tm message board and to be used on here only * and i tend to put it in the crockpot just covered with water and leave on low overnight - always comes up just lovely... .