Chicken soup

seniorbones, May 14, 12:58am
I cooked the chicken for stock with herbs and veges and have now made soup but its a bit tasteless! what can I add to give it more flavour?I have added noodles too so its now 'bland chicken noodle soup' !!

ceila, May 14, 1:11am
Chicken stock cube or Chicken noolde soup sachet

pp11, May 14, 1:15am
Try a stock cube, some oyster sauce, salt and pepper and a squirt of tomato puree.

pp11, May 14, 1:17am
P.S. Forgot to add garlic.

ant_sonja, May 14, 1:18am
Plenty of salt/pepper/herbs to your liking - I also use chopped celery leaves for added flavor and/or celery salt if needed.

seniorbones, May 14, 2:35am
I added more salt and it made a big difference, didnt really want to use stock cube as it was home-made stock but also added more thyme and was nicer. Thanks all.

janny3, May 14, 2:37pm
Saute finely cut leeks, onions, chopped garlic.(Fry some bacon too, or use oil that bacon has been fried in) Or if you have any anchovies, just a little tsp sauteed in the cooked onions (etc) until it dissolves into your oil can also boost flavours.Then tip your bland soup into this w/ the extra herbs you desire (chives, spring onions etc).Perhaps a slug of soy sauce, Lea & Perrins, tobasco, squeeze or so of lemon/lime, freshly ground black pepper to also zing it up.

seniorbones, May 15, 12:58am
I cooked the chicken for stock with herbs and veges and have now made soup but its a bit tasteless! what can I add to give it more flavour!I have added noodles too so its now 'bland chicken noodle soup' !

seniorbones, May 15, 5:11am
thanks janny3, sorry cant stand anchovies so would not add them to my chicken soup but will try the lea and perrins next time, maybe it was because it sat in the fridge overnight but we had some for lunch today and it was 100% better? in fact hubby said it was one of the best I had made so it turned out delicous maybe it was just the salt it needed, it can make a huge difference!

ant_sonja, May 15, 8:16am
Home made soup usually tastes better the next day - same as a nice stew or casserole. Glad it turned out for you :-)

jessie981, May 15, 9:21am
Mine is basic, chicken, uncooked rice, seaoning, chicken stock (powdered) potato & always fine. Throw back inyour pot & do a bit a 'adding'.

seniorbones, May 15, 9:58am
Yes probably was, anyway delicous now and will be for lunch tomorrow!

janny3, May 15, 11:04pm
Glad it turned out wonderful.Makes me very hungry right now!
BTW: You won't taste the anchovies or even notice them because the 1/4 or so tsp is all that's needed to add depth of flavour & seasoning into your oil without that icky taste of anchovy over kill.
Might be off to Pak n Save for some chicken soup soon...

seniorbones, May 16, 5:11am
thanks janny3, sorry cant stand anchovies so would not add them to my chicken soup but will try the lea and perrins next time, maybe it was because it sat in the fridge overnight but we had some for lunch today and it was 100% better! in fact hubby said it was one of the best I had made so it turned out delicous maybe it was just the salt it needed, it can make a huge difference!

jessie981, May 16, 9:21am
Mine is basic, chicken, uncooked rice, seaoning, chicken stock (powdered) potato & always fine. Throw back inyour pot & do a bit a 'adding'.

janny3, May 16, 11:04pm
Glad it turned out wonderful.Makes me very hungry right now!
BTW: You won't taste the anchovies or even notice them because the 1/4 or so tsp is all that's needed to add depth of flavour & seasoning into your oil without that icky taste of anchovy over kill.
You're all making me hungry & I haven't had breakfast.Might be off to Pak n Save for some chicken soup soon.