Inexpensive, tasty vegan soup recipe

calista, May 13, 10:55pm
Hi all.I need a tasty vegan soup recipe that can easily be made in bulk (10 litres) and can be frozen.I have a crockpot and a large saucepan.

The group I am cooking for contains meat eaters, vegetarians and vegans, so it is easiest to make it to suit the most restricted.

Thanks for your help, recipe board posters have never failed me in the past,
so what would you make in this situation?

lilyfield, May 13, 11:36pm
soak a kilo of soya beans- or other,soak at least overnight and just add heaps of any root vegies-bayleaf ,onion, 5 cloves, mushroom stock if you have,tomato paste and simmer for hours. season to taste. Easy peasy.

mackenzie2, May 13, 11:49pm
What about a thai pumpkin soup???
Soften 2 onions in butter, add 1 large chopped pumpkin, add 2 tins of coconut cream and then fill to cover pumpkin with water, add salt and pepper to taste
When pumpkin is cooked wizz it, till it is smoothe and thick
(if you want extra flavour add 2 TBSP of fish sauce) Best reheated

mackenzie2, May 13, 11:51pm
Carrot, pumpkin and ginger
Soften onions in butter, when cooked add 2 TBSP of grated fresh ginger (Can all powdered) add peeled carrot and pumpkin, add vegetable stock, boil till all cooked
Than blitz, add salt and pepper to taste

cgvl, May 13, 11:58pm
Any homemade vegetable soup would be fine. Just dont add chicken stock or bacon bones.
This is my quick winters lunch soup, I just add as I have so sorry no real quantities.
Carrot, pumpkin, onion, celery, parsnip, swede, potato and kumara.
All chopped fine or if I'm after a thicker soup I grate all except the onion and celery.
Cover with water, add salt and pepper to taste and a pinch of curry powder. Cook until vegies soft (mash for a slightly thicker soup if you didn't grate).
you can add soup mix (not kings or stockpot one) you can get one that is a mix of lentils and barley and split peas does not have stock powder in it. Mushrooms are nice in it also and I have had it with spinach added at last minute, also can add tomatoes.

calista, May 14, 10:55pm
Hi all.I need a tasty vegan soup recipe that can easily be made in bulk (10 litres) and can be frozen.I have a crockpot and a large saucepan.

The group I am cooking for contains meat eaters, vegetarians and vegans, so it is easiest to make it to suit the most restricted.

Thanks for your help, recipe board posters have never failed me in the past,
so what would you make in this situation!

ruby19, May 14, 11:38pm
This is amazing since there are so little ingredients. Also very economical!

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 large onions, chopped
1.5 cups dried split green peas, picked over and rinsed
5 cups water
2-3 tsp vegata vegetable stock powder*
a few pinches of smoked paprika

Add olive oil to a big pot over med-high heat. Stir in onions cook until the onions soften, just a minute or two. Add the split peas and water and paprika. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the peas are cooked through. Puree the soup that is still remaining in the pot. If you need to thin the soup out with more water (or stock) do so a bit at a time. Season to taste.
* I add 2 tsp of stock powder to the water to start, then taste at the end and add a little more powder if needed to enhance the flavour. You can add lemon juice at end if liked.

mackenzie2, May 14, 11:49pm
What about a thai pumpkin soup!
Soften 2 onions in butter, add 1 large chopped pumpkin, add 2 tins of coconut cream and then fill to cover pumpkin with water, add salt and pepper to taste
When pumpkin is cooked wizz it, till it is smoothe and thick
(if you want extra flavour add 2 TBSP of fish sauce) Best reheated

cgvl, May 14, 11:58pm
Any homemade vegetable soup would be fine. Just dont add chicken stock or bacon bones.
This is my quick winters lunch soup, I just add as I have so sorry no real quantities.
Carrot, pumpkin, onion, celery, parsnip, swede, potato and kumara.
All chopped fine or if I'm after a thicker soup I grate all except the onion and celery.
Cover with water, add salt and pepper to taste and a pinch of curry powder. Cook until vegies soft (mash for a slightly thicker soup if you didn't grate).
you can add soup mix (not kings or stockpot one) you can get one that is a mix of lentils and barley and split peas does not have stock powder in it. Mushrooms are nice in it also and I have had it with spinach added at last minute, also can add tomatoes.

lx4000, May 15, 3:42am
save your cooking water from carrots, swede, pumpkin, silverbeet, cabbage, cauli and broc. Great for soup stock!! adds loads of flavour!! Better than stock cubes in my book!!

evorotorua, May 15, 4:40am
Just wondering, do vegans eat butter? I would suggest you make one of the delicious sounding soups as above and then add some bowls of grated cheese, bacon pieces, or little meat balls, shredded chicken etc on the side so that everyone can finish off their bowl of soup to their liking. Maybe a jug of cream to pour or sour cream. Gosh it's hard to cater to everyone's needs.

calista, May 15, 4:44am
No butter or any other animal products - not one myself, but I have had friends who were.

lx4000, May 16, 3:42am
save your cooking water from carrots, swede, pumpkin, silverbeet, cabbage, cauli and broc. Great for soup stock! adds loads of flavour! Better than stock cubes in my book!

evorotorua, May 16, 4:40am
Just wondering, do vegans eat butter! I would suggest you make one of the delicious sounding soups as above and then add some bowls of grated cheese, bacon pieces, or little meat balls, shredded chicken etc on the side so that everyone can finish off their bowl of soup to their liking. Maybe a jug of cream to pour or sour cream. Gosh it's hard to cater to everyone's needs.