Help with cake decoration pls!

unco12, May 13, 8:14am
I'm making a very large (16") square white and dark chocolate mudcake for my mum's 60th.. it's going to be covered in chocolate ganache but I'm stuck for ideas on how to decorate it.. does anyone have any ideas? thanks so much!

paghan, May 13, 8:32am
chocolate shavings would look nice, or thin shards

chicco2, May 13, 10:50am
Fresh flowers are never wrong on a cake. If you dont feel confident to make a spray, talk to your local florist and get them to make one for the cake.
Get a gorgeous matching chiffon ribbon to wrap around the cake and there you are.
Try Googling 60th Birthday cakes for ideas.

jenjen76, May 13, 11:26am
You could get some delicate sugar flowers (or make some) to dot randomly over the cake while the ganache is still soft.

kinna54, May 14, 4:02am
There are some gorgeous edible flowers and creations available in the cake shops, but I love chiccos idea of the fresh flowers, just to be placed on there at the last minute. Awesome! For my sisters 60th there were piped white and chocolate swirls around the cake edge and white and dark choc curls, message was in the centre, but hers was a gateau type cake, and cake shops seem to do the same old thing: quite common. Lovely to go for something different. You can get tiny liliies at the moment which can have the stamens dipped gold or silver. The local supermarket florists had them in abundance on Mothers day, at a reasonable price.
Good luck with your quest!

susan21, May 14, 5:16am
My husbands 50th is coming up in 2 weeks time and Im going to make a huge carrot cake.Have been trying to think how to decorate a mans cake, does anyone have any ideas.Thanks...

rchelley, May 14, 5:26am
I made one for my dad for his 60th - printed a great photo of him and laminated it and put it in the centre of the cake and covered the rest of the cake with lollies to make a picture frame.It looked really good.Since it will be a carrot cake you could use something else that goes better with it than lollies - chocolate raisins or something??

kinna54, May 14, 6:05am
I just had another thought which could be quite tasteful: Hearts. I have seen lovely edible gold hearts in different sizes in spotlight. You could perhaps do something like smaller sizes on piped mounds aroundthe edges and a tasteful arrangement with a delicate heart in the centre, maybe add some ribbons and flowers with a delicate patternedgold ribbon featured around the outside of the cake, or just make a delicate centrepiece and the ribbon tastefully arranged around the cake.
The gold looks really effective on a dark coloured cake. The looks on cakes these days is quite minimal but tasteful.

aimeelouwhite, May 14, 6:10am
and if shaving chocolate... use white, dark and milk - looks great !

unco12, May 14, 8:14am
I'm making a very large (16") square white and dark chocolate mudcake for my mum's 60th. it's going to be covered in chocolate ganache but I'm stuck for ideas on how to decorate it. does anyone have any ideas! thanks so much!

susan21, May 15, 5:16am
My husbands 50th is coming up in 2 weeks time and Im going to make a huge carrot cake.Have been trying to think how to decorate a mans cake, does anyone have any ideas.Thanks.

rchelley, May 15, 5:26am
I made one for my dad for his 60th - printed a great photo of him and laminated it and put it in the centre of the cake and covered the rest of the cake with lollies to make a picture frame.It looked really good.Since it will be a carrot cake you could use something else that goes better with it than lollies - chocolate raisins or something!

aimeelouwhite, May 15, 6:10am
and if shaving chocolate. use white, dark and milk - looks great !