Help please!! Lumpy gravy

carla8, Mar 15, 1:38am
Hi there - just wondering if any of you know what I am doing wrong to be getting lumpy gravy every time I make it! I use the juices from the meat I've cooked - I normally drain these into a pot and heat it up on the oven - I then mix up some flour and water to form a paste and whisk this bit by bit into the juices until it thickens - but no matter how hard I whisk there are still always flour lumps in it. Hope someone can help! !

buzzy110, Mar 15, 1:59am
Oh no. Not a maker of lumpy gravy! In my mother's eyes that was the worst possible sin. ha ha. She used to judge people on how their gravy came out - smooth and you were socially acceptable, lumpy and you were just 'no-account, white/brown trash'.

I hope you sort your problem out soon. I wouldn't be brave enough to admit to lumpy gravy in public.

You could try the roux method. Add butter to the pot, melt at very low heat, throw in a tablespoon of flour and stir in then add hot stock, whisking as you go.

Or, you could add more water to your water and gravy mix and whisk or mix that till it is smooth BEFORE adding to your hot stock.

redhead21, Mar 15, 2:20am
use cornflour instead and a whisk, . Add the cornflour mixed with water very slowly and you will find it works. Failing that pop it through a sieve once you have made it, lumps stay in sieve.

redrose, Mar 15, 2:27am
using cornflour I find it becomes quite gluey.

maxwell.inc, Mar 15, 2:33am
Hot liquid. . thats the only secret really... same goes for white/cheese sauce. . hot milk/hot stock... use cold and it will go lumpy, add to much at once and it will go lumpy.

harrislucinda, Mar 15, 3:30am
iusecornflourwheatnotmaizedrain offliquidthenaddwaterthencornflour, mixallinthenputback on heatseasonyou you neverhavelumpsagainifuseingplain flourmakearunnypastethen addasabove

carla8, Mar 15, 3:58am
Thanks everyone - I am determined to get this sorted out!

amiri1, Mar 15, 4:00am
Stir stir stir! ! ! I find a fork works best for me, also the way you stir. Stir with the fork kind of flat, rather than upright like a spoon.
I drain the fat making sure any other liquid has evaporated off, add the flour, brown slightly so you don't have a floury taste, add warm water and stir like crazy! Add seasonings.
My gravy is lump free 99% of the time! The other 1% I use a sieve, lol! :)

firefly001, Mar 15, 4:07am
don't you have to take it off the heat while you add the flour mixture - I'm a packet girl these days but I'm sure I could still do it (or put it through the sieve if it went wront)

kulkkulbelle, Mar 15, 4:09am
I just remove meat to carver and drain off most of fat - not all from baking dish (has to be metal).

I then place the dish on the element. I have plain flour- start with about a desert spoon full and sprinkle on pan and start scratching, scraping stirring to deglaze. IN a few seconds I pourhot stock from the veges - little by little into pan until it looks the right consistency. If no veges I would use heated commercial stock. I sometimes add wine, verjuice and reduce. I even add tiny bit ofTamari sauce instead of salt sometimes.

diamondgirl06, Mar 15, 4:10am
I remember a quote from Delia Smith (years ago) when asked about lumpy gravy, she replied "That's what a sieve is for"

cookessentials, Mar 15, 4:11am
I think you will find that you have too much liquid before adding your flour. When i do a pan gravy, I use the roasting pan and drain all but about 1 tbsp of the fat and juices from the pan and place on the hob on a low-med heat. I add a good tbsp of flour and with the back of a spoon combine into the fat/juices mix, then to this i add vegetable water, reduce heat a little and mix well, still using the back of the spoon. You can get a good flat roux whisk if you prefer, although i have never had trouble using the back of the spoon. The trick is to add the liquid gradually. If you have too much liquid and then try to add a flour to it, you will get lumps.

carla8, Mar 15, 4:18am
Wow great advice everyone -thanks!

kulkkulbelle, Mar 15, 4:20am
... ... ... ... ... ... . . that- and if in doubt, stir like a person possessed... .

moreorless, Mar 15, 6:15am
Well I thank you too, as my gravy turns out lumpy also. I never knewtoo much liquid with flour would spoil it - ie (lumpy), so small amount of liquid with flour or cornflour and adding more liquid does the trick huh. Thanks gals/guys.

jag5, Mar 15, 6:37am
Remove meat, pour off excess fat, leave juices. Add vegie waters, peas is the best. Add plain water if not enough. Season to taste, (I always add a bit of sugar too)add gravy browning if pale and bring to boil and scrape everything off the bottom of the pan. Mix up cornflour and water, slowly drizzle into liquid, and USE A WHISK. You will never have lumpy anything if you use a whisk.

waswoods, Mar 15, 9:39am
Take the kitchen wizz to it - no more lumps!

bcnd, Mar 15, 10:07am
Don't heat it too quickly. I turn off the heat. Add my flour & mix to get my base. Add my extra spices. Then I add approx 1/4c liquid, stir, add a liitle more liquid, stir. Turn the heat on to a medium, when it starts to thicken, add a wee bit more liquid, then once it is to the consistancy I like, i turn up the heat to get it to boil... .

midgetmum, Mar 15, 10:52am
Same as above but I add marmite/vegemite or soy sauce to darken and flavour it.

rainrain1, Mar 15, 8:27pm
If all that fails, sieve it! ! :-)

shazzy67, Mar 15, 8:40pm
Make sure your flour paste has no lumps in it - use a shaker is best. Heat the drippings etc and stir! ! ! ! with a whisk while adding paste. It shouldn't be lumpy then.

crsdbl, Nov 4, 11:05am
you need to invest in a stick blender, they are mega cheap and you will have no more lumpy gravy.