River Cottage Bread recipes "Bakers Circle" idea

djpablonz, May 11, 1:34am
Wow, can't wait to try the Soda bread recipe. I have been baking bread for ages now - never buy anymore, tastes so much nicer than store bought and so much healthier too.
Anyone with recipes to share???

cookessentials, May 11, 2:21am
Here is my irish Soda bread recipe...taken straight off our website to save me having to type it up.

Irish Soda Bread
Ingredients:
420g wholemeal plain flour
375g white plain flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
680ml buttermilk approx
Method:
Sift flours,salt & soda into large bowl. Stir in enough buttermilk to mix to a firm dough. Turn dough onto floured surface,knead until just smooth. Shape dough into 20cm round,place on greased oven tray. Cut 1cm deep slashes in bread in a cross. Brush with a little milk. Bake in mod oven about 50 minutes. Cool on wire rack

kay141, May 11, 2:33am
I was interested in the one last night as it was the first I have seen with all white flour.

djpablonz, May 11, 2:55am
I have just found another use for my oval slow cooker - I had to share this. I don't have a warm place to put bread to rise, so I popped the dough into a greased bowl, put the bowl into the crock of the slow cooker, added a little water to the crock & set the crock on low, covered with a tea towel. Within 30-45 mins the dough had risen beautifully! I then shaped the rolls (what the dough was intended for) popped them on the baking sheet and this is now sitting atop the slow cooker covered in a tea towel, and they are rising beautifully again.

patsy3, May 11, 7:31am
Didn't see all the program, but my Irish Mother-in-law used to make the soda bread, and lay it on top of her rich beef stew instrad of pastry. So when served you would mop up all that yum gravy with the soda bread. Between that and the pub, then having another dinner at 1am after being at the pub, no wonder I got so fat living there!

cgvl, May 11, 9:38am
I only use plain white flour in my soda bread and its fine also don't use buttermilk as generally don't have any in the house when I need to make some.
Love soda bread and its a great standby when a loaf in the breadmaker is going to take more time than I have.

korbo, May 11, 10:02am
what do you use instead of buttermilk.

cgvl, May 11, 10:04am
plain milk
Might have to go have a look at my recipe and see what it actually says lol

djpablonz, May 12, 1:34am
Wow, can't wait to try the Soda bread recipe. I have been baking bread for ages now - never buy anymore, tastes so much nicer than store bought and so much healthier too.
Anyone with recipes to share!

cookessentials, May 12, 2:21am
Here is my irish Soda bread recipe.taken straight off our website to save me having to type it up.

Irish Soda Bread
Ingredients:
420g wholemeal plain flour
375g white plain flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
680ml buttermilk approx
Method:
Sift flours,salt & soda into large bowl. Stir in enough buttermilk to mix to a firm dough. Turn dough onto floured surface,knead until just smooth. Shape dough into 20cm round,place on greased oven tray. Cut 1cm deep slashes in bread in a cross. Brush with a little milk. Bake in mod oven about 50 minutes. Cool on wire rack

djpablonz, May 12, 2:55am
I have just found another use for my oval slow cooker - I had to share this. I don't have a warm place to put bread to rise, so I popped the dough into a greased bowl, put the bowl into the crock of the slow cooker, added a little water to the crock & set the crock on low, covered with a tea towel. Within 30-45 mins the dough had risen beautifully! I then shaped the rolls (what the dough was intended for) popped them on the baking sheet and this is now sitting atop the slow cooker covered in a tea towel, and they are rising beautifully again.

patsy3, May 12, 7:31am
Didn't see all the program, but my Irish Mother-in-law used to make the soda bread, and lay it on top of her rich beef stew instrad of pastry. So when served you would mop up all that yum gravy with the soda bread. Between that and the pub, then having another dinner at 1am after being at the pub, no wonder I got so fat living there!

cgvl, May 12, 9:38am
I only use plain white flour in my soda bread and its fine also don't use buttermilk as generally don't have any in the house when I need to make some.
Love soda bread and its a great standby when a loaf in the breadmaker is going to take more time than I have.