Mince pie recipe

muppet65, May 9, 8:27am
I am hoping to make a mince and onion pie tomorrow using puff pastry.Would anyone have any recipes or suggestions.Thanks

jessie981, May 9, 9:18am
From l/h message board
The latest mince pies that i make have onion, garlic, salt, pepper, Tbsp. tomato sauce, Tbsp. sweet chilli sauce and 1/4 cup sago in. it is not sweet, not strong (master 5 loves it), not bland, not tomato'ey, etc..... just my latest way of doing it.
first do the onions, add garlic, mince. cook mince till pinkiness all gone and then add sago(soaked beforehand), tomato sauce, chilli sauce, salt and pepper. no liquid in my miince mixture so not soggy and runny but a firm pie when cut. i also just use the edmonds savoury short pastry.
tich50 (63 )10:49 am, Fri 8 Oct #3

Have you tried Google for recipes?

muppet65, May 9, 9:54am
hello jessie ..thanks very much for the response.yes i often use google but just wasn't having much luck tonight

aw217, May 9, 11:09am
My friends dad used to own a bakery and won prizes fro his pies. He said the trick is not to fry the mince, but to put it in a pot and boil it in a little water / stock and run a knife through it to get rid of any lumps....but I cant remember what he put in it sorry.

muppet65, May 9, 9:39pm
hmmmm interesting, thanks for that

purplegoanna, May 10, 12:48am
i make MEAN pies...line your pie dish with making paper, fry your onions & mushrooms then add mince, fry, add salt, pepper, grated carrot, 1 beef stock cube, smidgeon of curry powder , a splosh of tomato sauce, and one packet of Cracked Pepper Gravy mix (you can seive out the peppercorns if needed) then i simmer down, then i take of the heat and thicken with a flour/water mix until its quite gluggy and put it in the pie shell, then sprinkle with grated cheese and top the pie, brush with milk and cook at 210'

muppet65, May 10, 3:39am
woohoo thanks for that

mackenzie2, May 10, 4:15am
My secret ingredient is ground pepper, about a TBSP of it per family size pie.... That is what "Mays" pies (south island pie) put in theres

muppet65, May 10, 4:16am
aha..more divine ideas

motorbo, May 10, 4:27am
gotta luv home made pies

cookessentials, May 10, 4:35am
I make these in individal pots. The sauce is well worth making, but you can make the dish without the sauce if you want.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
750g beef mince
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon plain flour
1 1/2 cups beef stock
Pinch of nutmeg
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3/4 cup peas
1 sheet puff pastry
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten

For the sauce:
1 (400g) tin crushed tomatoes
4 large vine ripened tomatoes, quartered
1 onion, peeled and chopped
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 tsp dried chilli flakes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Heat oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add onion and cook until soft. Add mince and cook, breaking up the lumps until browned. Add tomato paste and cook for a further minute. Sprinkle over flour, and gradually add stock. Add nutmeg and Worcestershire season well. Simmer for 10 minutes. Stir through peas and set aside.

Place in 4, 1 cup ramekins or ovenproof cups. Divide pastry into quarters. Place over each cup. Brush with beaten egg yolk. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until crisp. Serve with tomato sauce.

For the sauce: place the tomatoes, onion, garlic and chilli in a baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and bake in a 220C oven for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle over the brown sugar and balsamic and cook a further 10 minutes. Cool slightly before pureeing in a food processor