Leek and potato soup

designer_polly, May 9, 5:24am
so.. I followed my friends instructions.
ham hock (though we used bacon bones)
potatoes
leeks
water

cook for 8 hours in slow cooker.

well it is OK.. but not great, served with heaps of cracked paper, nice bread with butter.

ideas please?

nzl99, May 9, 5:29am
Maybe some chicken stock/powder.

I made some today too... sauteed two leeks in butter, added about 4 cloves of crushed garlic, one bit of chopped bacon, a small handfull of fresh thyme, one rasher of bacon chopped, lots of S&P and then once soft... 1 litre of chicken stock.

Simmered for an hour... cooled a bit, then blitzed until smooth.Instead of using cream to finish, I used lite sour cream and then finished with chives.

lilyfield, May 9, 5:30am
bayleaf- cloves -garlic- beefstock- cream. All those will improve flavor

gerry64, May 9, 5:47am
I have just put mine on- better add something to it - smells nice - I have put onion into it - but will add a bayleaf and some garlic

kinna54, May 9, 6:30am
My favourite Manukau hotelrecipe had cream in it but I have lost it. (think I have lent it out, still trying to track it down, will teach me to hand out copies and not originals darn it! )there was a similarnice one posted a few days ago, try going back thru the posts, look under Manukau hotel recipe.
Alison Holst has a nice one in her potato book which was similar, but if anyone out there has a copy of that Manukau Hotel one I would love it!

alaine4, May 9, 6:46am
x1
designer_polly For any soup you need to make your stock first. This is where the flavour comes from.

Bacon bones are not the same as a ham or bacon hock. The flavours are entirely different.

klc1, May 9, 6:52am
Fry leeks and an onion in butter till soft, add sliced potatos and chicken stock (about a litre) cook for 10 mins or until potatos are soft, add salt and pepper,cool for abit then blitz with a stick blender, then add some cream and small amount of lemon juice.Heat up.

designer_polly, May 10, 5:24am
so. I followed my friends instructions.
ham hock (though we used bacon bones)
potatoes
leeks
water

cook for 8 hours in slow cooker.

well it is OK. but not great, served with heaps of cracked paper, nice bread with butter.

ideas please!

nzl99, May 10, 5:29am
Maybe some chicken stock/powder.

I made some today too. sauteed two leeks in butter, added about 4 cloves of crushed garlic, one bit of chopped bacon, a small handfull of fresh thyme, one rasher of bacon chopped, lots of S&P and then once soft. 1 litre of chicken stock.

Simmered for an hour. cooled a bit, then blitzed until smooth.Instead of using cream to finish, I used lite sour cream and then finished with chives.

designer_polly, May 10, 8:05am
thanks alaine, I did wonder about the difference.

We put some through the whizz and it was much nicer, and tonight it is more tasty.

kinna54, May 11, 5:36am
Just been reading an old womans weekly cook book (Tui Flower's) recipe. It has cream , it says after pureeing to bring the soup back to the boil, and just before serving add an egg yolk beaten into the cream quantity. Do not reboil. serve the soup garnished with fresh chives. Will give it a go when my leeks are ready, and report back.

kinna54, May 12, 5:36am
Just been reading an old womans weekly cook book (Tui Flower's) recipe. It has cream , it says after pureeing to bring the soup back to the boil, and just before serving add an egg yolk beaten into the cream quantity. Do not reboil. serve the soup garnished with fresh chives. Will give it a go when my leeks are ready, and report back.