Has anyone made Persimmon Jam?

lizyb, Apr 26, 12:26am
any other ideas anyone, eg pickles or chutneys !

daleaway, Apr 26, 12:30am

makespacenow, Apr 26, 1:16am
I make mine without sugar, just add lemon juice and pectin stock.

elliehen, Apr 26, 1:50am
I have tried cooking with them but cooked persimmons are so blah that you end up having to add other things for flavour, which defeats the purpose of having a persimmon recipe.

Eat them like an apple, crisp and raw, or to make them easier to eat, peel and slice from top to bottom in thin biscuit-shaped slices - delectable!

sooseque, Apr 26, 4:12am
We had a persimmon orchard of the non-astringent (firm) variety planted in 1986, I have tried several recipes including steamed puddings/muffins etc. can't remember jam though and agree with elleihen, they are a bit blah, and I also enjoy them like an apple, sliced top to bottom and you get a pretty star pattern, common name - 'fruit of the Gods'

onekiwigirl, May 8, 9:42pm
Do you think persimmon jam would work?We have so many persimmon and do not really know what to do with them.Cheers

waswoods, May 9, 12:43am
Sell them on TM - they are so expensive in the shops at the moment

linette1, May 9, 1:16am
Hi I hav'nt tried this myself yet.
Ingredients:
3 cups Persimmon pulp*
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Directions:
Make Persimmon Pulp, using 3 to 4 persimmons.
Combine 3 cups persimmon pulp and the sugar in heavy medium noncorrosive saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and opaque, about 15 minutes; do not boil. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice and zest. Pour into sterilized jars and seal according to manufacturer's directions.
*Persimmon pulp: One Japanese persimmon yields 3/4 to 1 cup pulp Rinse persimmon briefly under cold running water; pat dry. Make x-shaped cut in pointed end with small sharp knife. Peel back sections of the skin from cut end; discard any seeds. Discard skin and stem end. Use or freeze pulp as is, or process in food processor fitted with metal blade or in a blender until smooth.
*Tip: To prevent discoloration of pulp, remove pulp from persimmon just before using. When freezing pulp, preferable in 1- or 2- cup portions, ad a small pinch of ascorbic acid or a few drops of lemon juice to pulp to prevent discoloration.

korbo, May 9, 3:21am
wish you lived around the corner from me, i would bake you a cake in exchange for persimons. $1.50-$2.00 each here at present.

pickles7, May 9, 6:24am
The Persimmon we buy today, are way different to the persimmons of 8-10 years ago.
Can your fruit be eaten while it is crisp, or, do you have to wait until the fruit is near rotten.???
I would not make jam with them myself, try cooking a few to see what you end up with. We used heaps of them, fresh in salads, they add a lot of colour, andtexture at this time of the year.

jessie981, May 9, 6:34am
Aunt Daisy recipe
Firm persimmons, not quite ripe. Cut out stalks & weigh.
For every lb of fruit allow 8ozsugar. Cut fruit into 1" squares. Sprinkle with sugar & leave over night.
Put in a pot with 1 oz whole ginger (in muslin bag), add juice 1 lemon.
Bring to boil, add restof sugar & boil till it jells.

pickles7, May 9, 6:49am
That would be the older variety of persimmon for sure. The ones we buy these days are the ones you eat while crisp, the older variety you couldn't eat them until they were mush.

buzzy110, May 9, 7:13am
If they are the edible ones (I consider the other to be ornamental only) then why not try drying them?

pickles7, May 9, 7:17am
Are you nuts....???

juliewn, May 9, 9:53am
Persimmons are great to use as a base for a salsa.. peel and chop into cubes, add thinly sliced red onion or shallot rings, chopped tomatoes, cucumber, kiwifruit, etc..etc.. anything you like or have in your fridge that's good in a salsa, then toss your favourite dressing though.. done! :-)

juliewn, May 9, 9:54am
ps.. OneKiwi.. your local foodbank would probably appreciate them.. a Citizen's Advice Bureau would be able to give you a foodbank phone number if you'd like to do this..

onekiwigirl, May 9, 9:42pm
Do you think persimmon jam would work!We have so many persimmon and do not really know what to do with them.Cheers

linette1, May 10, 1:16am
Hi I hav'nt tried this myself yet.
Ingredients:
3 cups Persimmon pulp*
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Directions:
Make Persimmon Pulp, using 3 to 4 persimmons.
Combine 3 cups persimmon pulp and the sugar in heavy medium noncorrosive saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and opaque, about 15 minutes; do not boil. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice and zest. Pour into sterilized jars and seal according to manufacturer's directions.
*Persimmon pulp: One Japanese persimmon yields 3/4 to 1 cup pulp Rinse persimmon briefly under cold running water; pat dry. Make x-shaped cut in pointed end with small sharp knife. Peel back sections of the skin from cut end; discard any seeds. Discard skin and stem end. Use or freeze pulp as is, or process in food processor fitted with metal blade or in a blender until smooth.
*Tip: To prevent discoloration of pulp, remove pulp from persimmon just before using. When freezing pulp, preferable in 1- or 2- cup portions, ad a small pinch of ascorbic acid or a few drops of lemon juice to pulp to prevent discoloration.

pickles7, May 10, 6:24am
The Persimmon we buy today, are way different to the persimmons of 8-10 years ago.
Can your fruit be eaten while it is crisp, or, do you have to wait until the fruit is near rotten.!
I would not make jam with them myself, try cooking a few to see what you end up with. We used heaps of them, fresh in salads, they add a lot of colour, andtexture at this time of the year.

pickles7, May 10, 6:49am
That would be the older variety of persimmon for sure. The ones we buy these days are the ones you eat while crisp, the older variety you couldn't eat them until they were mush.
It would be nice to have someone who has made jam with the new variety, or the old variety to post there recipe.

buzzy110, May 10, 7:13am
If they are the edible ones (I consider the other to be ornamental only) then why not try drying them!

pickles7, May 10, 7:17am
Are you nuts.!
which ones are, ornamental.
Both can be eaten, both taste nice.
One is eaten when it is firm, crisp, juicy, sweet.
The other variety is eaten when it is soft, the skin is transparent, the flesh mush, juicy, sweet, as you cannot imagine.

juliewn, May 10, 9:53am
Persimmons are great to use as a base for a salsa. peel and chop into cubes, add thinly sliced red onion or shallot rings, chopped tomatoes, cucumber, kiwifruit, etc.etc. anything you like or have in your fridge that's good in a salsa, then toss your favourite dressing though. done! :-)

juliewn, May 10, 9:54am
ps. OneKiwi. your local foodbank would probably appreciate them. a Citizen's Advice Bureau would be able to give you a foodbank phone number if you'd like to do this.