So I roasted some pumpkin seeds

kelzzz, May 8, 6:43am
Had 3 homegrown crown pumpkins so I cut them up to freeze and thought roasting the seeds would be a great idea. I looked online for some ideas on how to do it.I separated all the pulp, washed them, boiled them in salt water, mixed them with salt, worster sauce and some curry powder and put them in the oven for about 2 1/2 hours.

Now the problem I have is, they taste great! BUT because they still have the husks on, they're hard and woody and basically inedible which is a real bummer coz it took me about 2 hours to prepare them!! Nowhere did it say to take the husks off before roasting (and how would you even do this anyway) so did I do it wrong??

lilyfield, May 8, 7:35am
the pumpkin seeds that are used for roasting and eating are not usually grown in NZ gardens.The Americans use the big orange pumpkin for carving at Halloween and save the seeds at the same time for roasting.Its a totally different variety. What we call pumpkins ( grey variety) is called squash in Amerika. Ours produce this inedible husk. Unless you are Russian you will have problems learning the fine art of chewing-hulling-sptting husks.
So next year get yourself some MONSTER PUMPKIN seeds- enjoy growing it- entering competition and roasting the edible seeds

winnie231, May 8, 8:04am
You need to grow a specific variety of pumpkins for eating the seeds.
I have grown these ... delicious!
http://www.koanga.org.nz/shop/seeds/austrian-hulless-pumpkin

kelzzz, May 8, 9:19pm
Oh bugger. Thanks for that.