Eggplant ideas ive never had one before or cooked

greertontga1, May 8, 3:17am
one can anyone please give me some ideas we are having roast chicken tonight would it go with that thank you in advance

margyr, May 8, 3:56am
hi there, I have only ever really used it in a lasagne, or chopped into cubes and roasted with heaps of other vege for a vege salad. But just on the left is a box headed Message Board, in the keyword or member box type eggplant and then in the date posted box click on the little arrow on the right and then anytime, then click search, there a heaps of ideas there. Good luck, hope you enjoy your dinner.

greertontga1, May 8, 3:58am
thanks ivehad a quick look there what does it taste like courgetts?

margyr, May 8, 4:01am
nah, it tastes like nothing really, haha, I remember about 40 years ago (eek!!!), I was in Aus for a holiday and had never seen them before, was at a market and asked the guy selling them what you do with them he said " cut the ends off, cut them into rings, cook till golden in butter, and then chuck them out the window, cause they are yuck!". If too big and old they can be bitter.

greertontga1, May 8, 4:21am
hahahaha now thats funny i did get a small one not sure if i should try it now

tigerlilly16, May 8, 4:21am
They do have a flavour, but it is a mild one usually, I haven't found any of the ones I've bought in the last few years to be bitter, but they are spongy and soak up the flavours of things they are cooked with and will also soak up a lot of fat or oil if they are fried and can become quite greasy, A meal I used to make when I was doing sureslim was just chunks or cubes of eggplant, courgette, onion and tomato, and whole garlic cloves, lightly drizzled with oil, seasoned and roasted in oven for 20 mins, then served with feta cheese crumbled through.

greertontga1, May 8, 4:22am
i might just try that one thanks for that do you leave the skin on

tigerlilly16, May 8, 5:21am
Sorry I haven't been on the computer for a while - yes leave the skin on and just cut into chunks :)

pom-pom, May 8, 6:36am
Roast them (they suck up oil) in slices with red onion, garlic, red capsicum. Chop and mix into seasoned cous-cous for a great warm or cold salad.

karenz, May 8, 6:41am
I scoop out the seeds and stuff the eggplant with left over bolognaise mince, then grate parmesan cheese over the top, or if you want to make a moussaka type dish use minced lamb, cooked up with onion and garlic and with a little tomato paste (and a dash of white wine if you have it) with a pinch of nutmeg then make a white sauce using an egg, milk and flour, grate a little bit of cheese into it and sprinkle cheese over the top and bake.Put a little water in the base of the baking dish and keep topping it up as it dries out.

marcs, May 8, 11:55am
I like to cut mine in 1/2cm slices (length ways) then sprinkle with salt and leave for 1/2 hour. After that pat it dry with a paper towel. Drizzle some oil on the eggplant and add some pepper. Put on a hot grill and grill till soft. once soft enough, I like to put some feta cheese and capcicum and a basil leaf and roll it up. I put some dolmio sauce (not much but enough to keep it moist) on top with cheese and bake till fully cooked or if you cook your eggplant fully on the grill then just roll it up with some feta cheese and capcicum and basil and eat it like that. Nice as nibbles. I normally prefer it plain with just feta.

tigerlilly16, May 8, 12:38pm
I used to use the salting method on mine too before using in recipes, but have found in the last 10 years of using them that the bitter component is not there anymore - maye it's been bred out?- anyway I find todays eggplants/aubergines fine to use as-is , no need for salting - leave the skin on.

cookessentials, May 8, 11:29pm
I make Imam Bayeldi which is a Turkish stuffed eggplant, I also do a pumpkin aubergine and chick pea curry and in the Summer, I slice thickly, brush with olive oil and grill on the bbq.