How best to cook goat meat?

bit, May 8, 12:57am
I've bought a pack of goat meat with a view to roasting it. Any special instructions?

cinny19, May 8, 1:11am
What cut f goat do you have? how old was the goat?
marinate it overnight AND apply a dry rub for a couple of hours before cooking to ensure a moist tender roast.add fresh lime juice which would pump up the acidity, andadd olive oil, to help infuse some fat into the lean goat meat.

cinny19, May 8, 1:14am
and cook it slow like you would lamb, hope that helps, tandori past is realy good as it changes the colour of the meat to a lovely redish colour and tast fab

kdenz, May 8, 1:16am
Yum! Use it like you would lamb. I have made curry and roasted it. I did mine on a bed or rosemary.

bit, May 8, 1:48am
Thanks for the tips. No idea of the age. Am roasting a leg. I have it on low. Have olive oil on hand so will use that.

cinny19, May 8, 2:04am
make sure you wrap it in tinfoil to help keep the moisture in, do you have a crock pot even better

beaker59, May 8, 11:42am
So did you enjoy it?

I quite like a good roast leg of goat I have a nice young nanny hanging in the shed ready for breaking down tomorrow I will gettwo back leg roasts and I will also put aside a forequarter to roast as I haven't done one before though I will cut into chops as I want to try a tandoori paste on them then brown off before slow cooking though that is a half formed idea at the moment I will also put some aside for curry :)

shazzie10, May 9, 12:57am
I lived on goat meat and bread in Niger for 4 days. We bought a lot of it in outside markets, mostly bbqed over hot coals.It was yummy, so slow bbq could be an option.We had a yummy goat curry a few weeks ago.Ate a lot of it when I was travelling because some cultures don't eat beef or pork.It's a shame that goats are an absolute menace because they tend to eat everything in sight.

anne1955, May 9, 2:23am
Yummy I have never seen it for sale here....young leg of goat I say leaves lamb for dead as they say...yummy..I want to find myslef a hunter, fisher, gather Even to by a rabbit here if you can get it from a supermarket is 20.00 Hope someone gives me a duck,...real meat...I'm hungry..makes it worse I have pickles on in the kitchen and can smell them..just did Kiwi Fruit Chuteny and Jam no onto the beetroot chutney...happy to exchange them for meat...

beaker59, May 9, 2:49am
Shame you don'y live closer I'm cutting up a young nanny right now. Its a really good one too quite fat for a wild one the carcase looks just like a lamb and no wastage for a change as I brought home the whole carcase (usually just take legs off out in the bush.

lookin4adeal, May 9, 3:04am
Recently Pak N Save has been selling it so check with your local one if you have one near by.We bought some goat loin chops and they were just like lamb chops we thought. I cooked them the same way with rosemary, garlic and oil.I have also had a goat curry which was lovely.Hope you enjoyed it!

vailima1, May 9, 6:21am
Long slow boil then mix with fresh tumeric,onions and coconut cream
Islands style
Very tasty but rich!