Any ideas on the best way to cook venison steak ?

olwen, May 7, 11:03am
What venison steak?Just as with beef there are a range of cuts, and you also have a distincion between wild and cultivated deer.But remember that there is much less fat on the meat and you may want to add fat.

newtec1, May 7, 12:09pm
I was meaning wild venison,any steak cut or roast,i know it has no fat and tends to dry out in the oven

rainrain1, May 7, 10:12pm
Somewhere i have a nice recipe of Alison Holsts for crockpot venison.If only I knew where the book was!!!I think it was a bed of 4 or 5 thin sliced pototoes, venison pieces (not the backstrap though, that's too good for in here) A tin of tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, a big squirt of tomato paste, sprig of rosemary, salt and pepper....
Brown the meat first in frypan, place on top of spuds in crockpot, fry off onion then tip your tomatoes etc in pan and scrape up all the juices, you might like to add a small amount of water to juices.You could doa stew on top of the range along similar lines.
I wouldn't eat any part of venison apart from backsteaks till I tried this recipe which is delishimo.I put in about 8 or 9am, and cook on high most of the day.

The backsteak we cut 1/2 inch thick (or however thick you like) and fry quickly in butter, turning once, 2 or 3 minutes (if that) each side
A roast I prop would cover with bacon strips, wrap in foil, or oven bag and roast....you could cut a pocked in the side and stuff

newtec1, May 8, 3:19am
cheers for that

rocky92, May 8, 4:14am
mmmm, I like the backstrap, seare on both sides well then into oven on roughly 170 for a few minutes then rest. YUM!

rainrain1, May 8, 4:18am
whoops i forgot the red wine with the crockpot recipe, slosh in a bit of that too,