How to cook a roast Lamb

marsmoontrademe, May 6, 10:31am
Any tips on cooking a perfect roast Lamb and any hints on roast potatoes, I have cooked them before but they have turned out average, thanks

olwen, May 6, 10:39am
A whole lamb?I'll leave the lamb to someone else.

Roast spuds we cut and parboil.Drain and put in plastic bag with a couple of tablespoons of flour, salt and pepper and herbs and spices (to taste).The spices typically are cumin and smoked paprika.Toss and add to the pan (or put them in their own pan).If putting them in their own pan sprinkle with cooking oil (rice bran or similar) or spray with an oil spray.Bake about an hour.

svx1, May 6, 10:43am
This is Jo Seages and its fantastic enjoyRoast Lamb with Coffee & Cream
I know this seems very strange, but believe me it is truly delicious. No-one can quite detect the secret ingredient but just watch them line up for seconds.
Serves 6
1 leg of lamb, approximately 2.5 kg
3 large onions, roughly quartered, no need to peel
300 ml hot strong unsweetened black espresso coffee
25 g butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups hot lamb or beef stock, can be made from cubes
3 tablespoons red currant jelly
½ cup crème fraiche
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 220˚C.
Place the leg of lamb and the onion quarters into a roasting tin and cook for 45 minutes. Turn the temperature down to 180˚C, pour the hot coffee over the meat and continue roasting for a further hour or until the lamb is cooked to your liking. Remove the meat from the roasting tin and keep warm, covered in a tinfoil tent.
Strain off the liquid from the roasting tin and reserve, discarding the onion. Sprinkle the flour into the tin, add the butter and whisk together. Gradually whisk in the strained coffee liquid and the hot lamb stock. Cook for 3 – 4 minutes, stirring as it thickens like a gravy. Stir in the red currant jelly and crème fraiche and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve the lamb with the sauce poured over as a gravy.

wayne472, May 6, 10:56am
Just stick the thing in the oven180 deg and leave there till done!

ksr, May 6, 11:11am
Smear with mustard and rosemary first.

chynna2, May 6, 11:33am
Same, but in an oven bag.

lythande1, May 6, 8:21pm
+1.
Served with mint sauce. Sometimes simple is best.

geldof, May 6, 11:24pm
YES.sounds weird, but is delicious.I make it frequently.
Can use cranberry jelly or any red jam, and can also use sour cream instead of the creme fraiche.

rachel-08, May 6, 11:43pm
plonk it in the slow cooker smear it in mint sauce and leave it on low for the day. yum!

marsmoontrademe, May 7, 11:09am
wow Thanks guys it all sounds great hmmm now to decide which one to choose!!

rosathemad, May 7, 11:28am
Whatever you choose the most important part is resting the meat before you carve it - at least 15 minutes, longer if you can. :-) This will allow the meat to relax and it will be much more tender to eat.