Need ideas for 'kiwi' meals....

mumstu, May 6, 5:10am
I have my French penfriend and her partnet coming to stay in a few weeks.

Need some Ideas for 'kiwi' meals.
Have come up with Roast, fish and chips, bbq...what else???

shop-a-holic, May 6, 5:21am
Gosh......The Roast was introduced to the English from the Romans. Fish and Chips have been claimed by the Brits. The BBQ has been claimed by the Aussies.

I would introduce them to our freshest and most local produce you can source and dishes which aren't available to the French. (poor you....hugs!!!)
Bluff Oysters (they are not permitted to be exported); Marlborough Salmon; NZ Venison; loads of NZ wines and Cheeses etc

mumstu, May 6, 5:25am
Good ideas, have plenty of venison in the freezer and as I live near Bluff, the oysters will not be a problem :o)

shop-a-holic, May 6, 5:27am
SOUTHERN GLORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Try sourcing a Saddle of Southland Hare. :-)

Can I come??

lindylambchops1, May 6, 8:58am
Got a crock pot or slow cooker do a Hangi
HANGI IN CROCKPOT

This is copied from original thread Evening everyone.... hangi was fantastic!I blended two recipes I got off the
trade me cooks website. I prepare all the veges (spuds, kumera, pumpkin,
carrots) and put a ring of spuds on the bottom but leave a hole in the
middle. Then sit a whole chicken (or whatever type of meat you fancy) on
top of the spuds so it’s not sitting directly on the bottom. I then put all
the rest of the veges packed around the chicken. Then I put some watercress (or silverbeeet)
(to taste, depending on how much you like it) on top of that, then big
cabbage leaves over the whole lot. Lastly I cover everything with stuffing
to create kind of a crust on top. I usually put it on first thing in the morning on high (lid on) and turn it down to low about 1-2pm.
Perfect by teatime.
Take them out for the day then VOILA!Dinner is ready on your return.Taken from the Crockpot Hangi thread bigcous' recipe.

lindylambchops1, May 6, 9:03am
NZ roast leg of lamb! with all the trimmings of course.How long are they staying with you for?They might like to make you a French Style meal one night. Love to hear how it all goes.

lythande1, May 6, 8:23pm
Then it isn't a hangi. The point of a hangi is the cooking in the ground.

asue, May 6, 9:13pm
muttonbirds

kiwibubbles, May 7, 12:28am
crayfish!

tammiraven, May 7, 1:16am
Boil Up, Rewana, Sea food, Pavolva with Kiwifruit, Pineapple lumps, L&P .... have a look in the Edmonds cook book

uli, May 7, 1:51am
Breakfast: Bacon and eggs, porridge, baked benas on toast, spaghetti on toast - the canned version of course - NOT al dente!

Lunch: Any type of sandwich on very white bread - crusts cut off for better digestion....

Dinner: Meat and three veges - one of them potatoes of course. Do NOT serve pasta or rice - both are not NZ staples.

If you feel like giving them a "real NZ" experience then do mussles on a sheet of lead painted roofing iron on the beach - or whitebait in an egg concoction.

Good luck! :)

510, May 7, 3:17am
Not really meals, just kiwi dishes, or food, good ole NZ meat pies, asparagus rolls, your famous southland cheese rolls, club sandwiches, hokey pokey icecream, NZ cheeses, mousetraps,oakhill potatoes, trifle, tamarillos, crunchie bar, whittaker chocolate.The gingernut biscuit logmade out of 1 pkt gingernuts soaked in gingerale covered in whipped cream & sprinkled with cadbury chocolate flake. NZ lamb cutlets with mint sauce.Lambs fry, bacon & mushrooms

rainrain1, May 7, 7:38am
roast lamb,(hogget or mutton has more flavour) baked orange kumera, peas, gravy and mint sauce.Pavlova or cheese board with NZ cheeses

fisher, May 7, 9:31am
Yeah I'm with Rainrain on this one... and maybe some of uli's as well...:}
Fire up the gas BBQ and throw some mussels on the grill..turn and turn as required while drinking a nice Chablis...and engaging in good banter..
Its a neat feeling just watching the bbq... Then a few whitebait fritters done in whisked eggs, salt and pepper in a hot cast frypan on the hot plate..
Meanwhile the billowing smell of roast hoggett, oiled, salted and peppered sitting on a bed of rosemary covered in foil, "slowly" cooking in the oven with roast baby beetroot, pumpkin with the skin on , kumara and pre par boiled spuds.. all seasoned cooking in their own roasting pan drizzled with olive oil.. Peas and gravy to finish the picture and when served , a Bordeaux or maybe a Merlot because I like it...homemade mint sauce a must..
Finally the proverbial pavlova with slices of kiwifruit and a cheese board of NZ cheeses...