Fruit & nut rolls made in cans

actiongirl1, Jan 8, 5:20am
I glanced at this recipie but can not find it again, could someone please help, i want to make it with my grand daughtersthankyou. . . .

cookessentials, Jan 8, 7:43am
Date and Nut Roll

240g dateschopped
3/4 cup boiling water
125g Mainland Unsalted Butter
3/4Raw Sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cupSelf Raising Flour
1/2 cupStandardFlour
1 tspMixed Spice
1/2 tspBaking Soda
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Place dates in bowl with boiling water. Let stand 30 mins. Beat butter and sugar together, add egg. Stir in date mixture and add sifted dry ingredients. Mix well, add nuts. Spoon mixture evenly into 2 lightly greased nut roll tins. Place lids on tins. Stand tins on oven tray. Bake in moderate oven for about 1 hour or until rolls are cooked when tested. Let roll stand in tins with lids on for about 10 mins. Turn rolls out, onto wire rack to cool.

actiongirl1, Jan 8, 8:44am
Thankyou cookessentials, sounds yummy too, but not the one i am after. . as i read over my message again, i didnot explain it very good. . sorry. . . the one i am looking for is cooked in boiling water and in cans. . used spaghetti cans etc. . does that ring a bell with anyone. . . please

actiongirl1, Jan 8, 9:09am
I FOUND IT. . . in general discussion. . thanks

taurus2005, Jan 8, 9:57am
Hi Actiongirl,
Can you please copy the recipe to this thread. thanks

lisa7, Jul 11, 11:13pm
From general
FRUIT & NUT ROLLS: Put 375g Mixed Dried Fruit, 3 tblsp Golden Syrup, 1 1/2 tsps Baking Soda and 1 1/2 cups Milk in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat, cool then stir in 2 1/2 cups Self-Raising Flour and 1/2 cup of chopped nuts. Stir. Grease 4 clean, empty 420g cans (spaghetti etc) and line bases with baking paper. Divide mix between cans. Stand filled cans in a large saucepan with enough water to come 1/3 up the side of the can. Cover the saucepan and boil gently for 1 hour or until cooked. Remove from saucepan, stand 5 mins and turn out onto cake rack. NB: Make sure your pot doesn't boil dry! ! !