Help! How do i cook Pork belly!

princesunshine, May 4, 8:04am
I just want a simple roasted pork belly,how long at what temp etc etc?

The belly is 400grams

thanks

natashaw92, May 4, 8:06am
What is pork belly???
Just curious.
I don't eat pork.

lindylambchops1, May 4, 8:21am
I love pork <(*@*)>

amazing_grace, May 4, 8:44am
Rub with salt and pepper, and add some chinese spices or something that you fancy.Roast on a high temp, about 220C for 1/2hr to get the crackling crispy, then turn the heat down to about 150C and roast another 2hrs or so till the meat is soft.Pop some water in the bottom of the dish after the initial blast of heat. mmmmmmmm

Or turn it into bacon, rub with salt all over, put in the fridge in a plastic bag.Take out and shake every day, after a week you have bacon!can smoke it in the hotsmoker afterwards if you like.

amazing_grace, May 4, 8:45am
Oh, and it's fat side up the whole way

gerry64, May 4, 8:52am
Annabelle Langbeins recipe in milk is the best ever way to cook belly pork

cookessentials, May 4, 9:09am
absolutley agree. The only thing I do differently, is to take the pork out of the milk when it is cooked and pop under the grill to re-crisp the crackling as it does soften a little from the steam as it cooks in the milk.

cookessentials, May 4, 9:11am
x1
Crispy Pork Belly.......Annabel Langbein.

The key to pork crackling is to dry the skin well before sprinkling with salt.Blast the pork in a hot oven to start with so it gets crunchy, then slow cook it for a further hour in a bath of milk. Which makes it really moist and tender. This is a traditional Italian way to cook pork belly. :-)

1-1.2kg pork belly with skin scored.
Ground black pepper.
1 tsp salt.
2-3 sage leaves.
2-2 and a half cups of milk. (

Preheat oven to 240c. Pat the skin of the pork dry and season the flesh side with pepper and half the salt. Sprinkle the sage leaves on the bottom of a baking dish and put pork on top, skin side up. Season the top with the remaining salt.

Roast for 20-30mins at 240c until the skin is starting to blister and crackle. Watch for burning..!

Pour the milk around the meat to come about half to two thirds of the way up the sides of pork. Reduce heat to 160c and roast for a further 1 and a half hours or until pork is meltingly tender. Check the level of liquid during cooking and if it has evaporated add a little more to the pan.

Remove pork from oven, lift out from dish and allow it to cool. Discard the liquids as it breaks into curds.

For easy cutting place the meat flesh side up on a chopping board and use a heavy sharp knive to cut into slices 3-4cm thick. Serve warm or room temperature

onenana, May 4, 10:03am
I sooo wish i had bought that pork belly i saw on special at Countdown last week:o(I've never cooked it before and thought it looked too fatty.

carolyn20, May 4, 8:40pm
I am drooling just thinking about Pork Belly - will add it to my shopping list today.I made it a few times last winter using a Jamie Oliver recipe which is on his website.The pork goes on top of some veges which are later used to make a gravy - it's very delicious however I am interested in trying out the milk method this time - thanks Cookessentials for posting.

devalois, May 4, 8:43pm
What about the gorgeous SLOW-COOKED PORK BELLY some restaurants serve, which is really sticky and goo-ey and absolutely divine? Anyone know how to do this?? devalois

fisher, May 5, 1:54am
I just bought 3 on special..... now my favorite cut of pork with crispy crackling ..
I just cook it... cut into quarters .. one for me one for Kathy and the other two for lunch the next day...Of course we eat all the crackling at the first sitting... :}}

fogs, May 5, 2:04am
Belly pork is my favourite cut is is so tender and juicy

gerry64, May 5, 6:21am
when you cook it in the milk seems to disperse a lot of the fat

natashaw92, May 5, 8:06am
What is pork belly!
Just curious.
I don't eat pork.

amazing_grace, May 5, 8:45am
Oh, and it's fat side up the whole way

cookessentials, May 5, 9:11am
Crispy Pork Belly.Annabel Langbein.

The key to pork crackling is to dry the skin well before sprinkling with salt.Blast the pork in a hot oven to start with so it gets crunchy, then slow cook it for a further hour in a bath of milk. Which makes it really moist and tender. This is a traditional Italian way to cook pork belly. :-)

1-1.2kg pork belly with skin scored.
Ground black pepper.
1 tsp salt.
2-3 sage leaves.
2-2 and a half cups of milk. (

Preheat oven to 240c. Pat the skin of the pork dry and season the flesh side with pepper and half the salt. Sprinkle the sage leaves on the bottom of a baking dish and put pork on top, skin side up. Season the top with the remaining salt.

Roast for 20-30mins at 240c until the skin is starting to blister and crackle. Watch for burning.!

Pour the milk around the meat to come about half to two thirds of the way up the sides of pork. Reduce heat to 160c and roast for a further 1 and a half hours or until pork is meltingly tender. Check the level of liquid during cooking and if it has evaporated add a little more to the pan.

Remove pork from oven, lift out from dish and allow it to cool. Discard the liquids as it breaks into curds.

For easy cutting place the meat flesh side up on a chopping board and use a heavy sharp knive to cut into slices 3-4cm thick. Serve warm or room temperature

onenana, May 5, 10:03am
I sooo wish i had bought that pork belly i saw on special at Countdown last week:o(I've never cooked it before and thought it looked too fatty.

carolyn20, May 5, 8:40pm
I am drooling just thinking about Pork Belly - will add it to my shopping list today.I made it a few times last winter using a Jamie Oliver recipe which is on his website.The pork goes on top of some veges which are later used to make a gravy - it's very delicious however I am interested in trying out the milk method this time - thanks Cookessentials for posting.

devalois, May 5, 8:43pm
What about the gorgeous SLOW-COOKED PORK BELLY some restaurants serve, which is really sticky and goo-ey and absolutely divine! Anyone know how to do this! devalois

fisher, May 6, 1:54am
I just bought 3 on special. now my favorite cut of pork with crispy crackling .
I just cook it. cut into quarters . one for me one for Kathy and the other two for lunch the next day.Of course we eat all the crackling at the first sitting. :}}
Roasted on a rack over water with the skin having initially had boiling water poured over it. dried well. then well oiled and a mix of rock salt, coriander seeds and peppercorns crushed and smeared all over and into the pork grooves. high heat to set the crackling and then turned down for the rest of the cooking.