How to make yoghurt out of fresh milk

Page 1 / 2
janny3, Mar 4, 2:25pm
Belated thanks!

beautifulflower, May 3, 5:42am
ideas welcome

cgvl, May 3, 5:49am
600mls milk, heat to blood heatshould be neither hot nor cold
Add 2Tbsp milk powder and 1pottle of good quality plain yoghurt (about a cup)
mix well, pour into a glass jar (eg large agee jar) and either wrap in a thick towel and place in the hot water cupboard overnight or
put it into a yoghurt maker container and process as you would the yoghurt mixes.
Next day stir through about 1-2Tbsp (if desired) of sugar.
the last lot I made this way seemed a little runny compared to the commercial yoghurt but was still edible.
Check that the yoghurt you are going to use in the starter doesn't contain gelatin or agar agar.

beautifulflower, May 3, 5:54am
hi do u know if anyone sells the bacteria that makes the yoghurt in dried form like the yeast that we use in bread making as it should be cheaper this way.

buzzy110, May 3, 6:17am
I have just purchased a bifidus free yoghurt culture from lenart, a TM trader. She sells a full range of cultures and some other stuff you may need.

antoniab, May 4, 1:29am
Hugh did it on river cottage last week - just heated milk, then added a spoon of normal natural yoghurt, gave it a shake and left it in a warm place for 24 hours - next morning = new yoghurt.

cgvl, May 4, 5:49am
600mls milk, heat to blood heatshould be neither hot nor cold
Add 2Tbsp milk powder and 1pottle of good quality plain yoghurt (about a cup)
mix well, pour into a glass jar (eg large agee jar) and either wrap in a thick towel and place in the hot water cupboard overnight or
put it into a yoghurt maker container and process as you would the yoghurt mixes.
Next day stir through about 1-2Tbsp (if desired) of sugar.
the last lot I made this way seemed a little runny compared to the commercial yoghurt but was still edible.
Check that the yoghurt you are going to use in the starter doesn't contain gelatin or agar agar.

leonie11, May 5, 9:07am
try this one 1/2 cup yoghurt, 1cup milk powder and 1 litre of water, combine/ shake and place in easiyo maker, made yesterday, saves buying the packet mixes

kuaka, May 5, 9:22am
so just how "natural" does the yoghurt need to be to be okay to use as a starter - could I use a dollop of my made-up easiyo greek yoghurt? or is that not natural enough??

sandra25, May 5, 9:23am
I have yoghurt starter granules from NZ Cheese School - purchased online. Open a 1 litre UHT milk, put 4 granules in, shake and close the top. Leave overnight and fresh yoghurt in the morning. Really cheap if you buy the UHT milk on special.

Edited to say I keep the granules in the freezer and they last a year or so (if you haven't used them all before the use by date).

crsdbl, May 5, 9:47am
i use 2T from a sachet of easio natural yoghurt (or simmilar).
2T milk powder ( for thicker yoghurt)
and 1L fresh milk.
make as you would a full sachet using your yoghurt maker.

1 sachet will make about 8 litres.

lindi4, May 5, 9:53am
I make lovely think yoghurt..Mix 1 pottle of natural yoghurt with 3Tbls milk powder and add 500mls milk..keep warm all night and when thick enough put in fridge to cool. Stand the spoon up in it...delish!!!

kuaka, May 5, 10:19am
crsdbl - does it matter what type of milk you use?I normally buy calci-trim which I prefer in my cups of tea, but I always think it's a bit thin for lots of other uses.

janny3, May 5, 1:59pm
Calci-trim is just fine.Scald the milk.Cool to blood temp & stir in about 1/3 c milk powder (this helps to thicken & make the yoghurt creamier) & a couple of dollops of fresh yoghurt (I've used all sorts of store bought yoghurts). It will work as long as your milk isn't too hot.

If you don't want to use fresh yoghurt & milk powder you can just stir in about 1/4 packet of Easiyo powder into your warm milk instead.

You can set this in an Easiyo or other maker.

kuaka, May 5, 9:07pm
okay, another question.Does it actually work out cheaper than making yoghurt with a pack of easiyo and water or is it just nicer?

lilyfield, May 5, 9:18pm
the price of a liter of milk plus a dollop of yogurt- against a packet of easyyo
an easy calculation

crsdbl, May 5, 9:24pm
it does for me because we get free milk. i cant imagine it would be that cost effective if you had to buy milk.

janny3, May 6, 1:14am
As for cheaper costs, I've seen yoghurt on special in the supermarket sold for less than the satchets of Easiyo!

Otherwise I go to the dairies that sell 2 litre bottles of milk at $2.95 because its not Fonterror brand.

kuaka, May 6, 1:28am
yes, which was why I asked the question, seeing as the calci-trim which I prefer is $4.79 for 2 litres, so I was thinking it's probably cheaper to just use a sachet of easiyo (bought when it's on special of course) and follow the instructions, ie. yoghurt powder and water.

kuaka, May 6, 9:22am
so just how "natural" does the yoghurt need to be to be okay to use as a starter - could I use a dollop of my made-up easiyo greek yoghurt! or is that not natural enough!

sandra25, May 6, 9:23am
I have yoghurt starter granules from NZ Cheese School - purchased online. Open a 1 litre UHT milk, put 4 granules in, shake and close the top. Leave overnight and fresh yoghurt in the morning. Really cheap if you buy the UHT milk on special.

Edited to say I keep the granules in the freezer and they last a year or so (if you haven't used them all before the use by date).

lindi4, May 6, 9:53am
I make lovely think yoghurt.Mix 1 pottle of natural yoghurt with 3Tbls milk powder and add 500mls milk.keep warm all night and when thick enough put in fridge to cool. Stand the spoon up in it.delish!

kuaka, May 6, 10:19am
crsdbl - does it matter what type of milk you use!I normally buy calci-trim which I prefer in my cups of tea, but I always think it's a bit thin for lots of other uses.

janny3, May 6, 1:59pm
Calci-trim is just fine if you add milk powder to thicken it.

Scald the milk.Cool to blood temp & stir in about 1/3 c milk powder (this helps to thicken & make the yoghurt creamier) & a couple of dollops of fresh yoghurt (I've used all sorts of store bought plain yoghurts). It will work as long as the yoghurt & culture in it, is fresh & your milk isn't too hot.

If you don't want to use fresh yoghurt & milk powder you can just stir in about 1/4 packet of Easiyo powder into your warm milk instead.

You can set this in an Easiyo or other maker.

kuaka, May 6, 9:07pm
okay, another question.Does it actually work out cheaper than making yoghurt with a pack of easiyo and water or is it just nicer!