Cooking Book?

raewyn64, May 3, 2:19am
Hi all

I don’t even know if such a book exists but I am trying to find a book on cooking techniques I guess.I cook but I am not great at it and would love to know things like the contestants on MasterChef seem to know – things like what herbs go with what; how to prepare certain meats etc.
I would love it if there was a book that say you could turn to mince for an example. It would tell you what general different uses it has, how it can be cooked, what vegetables go well with it and what herbs go well with it.The same for example a lamb roast – how to prepare it, what herbs go well and what veges.
Then it would do the same with vegetables, which herbs and meats go well with that particular vege and how they can be cooked; and then the same with the herbs.

I have some techniques in some of my cookbooks but those books are more about the recipes.

It is all those helpful things that we get off the message boards here – like nutmeg goes well with pumpkin in soup – well I would not know that if it wasn’t for here.

Does anyone have any suggestions?It would be great if there was a NZ book as it would relate more to us and what we grow etc but anything to get me started.

Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions.

amazing_grace, May 3, 2:42am
Raewyn, where do you start!lots of recipe books have this info.Try Anabelle Langbeins books, they are pretty knowledgeable, esp on NZ stuff.Or some older Good Housekeeping books....I have one that I love, which is Cottage Garden cookbook by Christine Dann, an NZer, and it is a great little book

winnie231, May 3, 2:55am
The Cook's Companion by Stephanie Alexander.
This is the book you want ... it's well worth the investment but if you find it too pricey, then look for it in your local library.
http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Books/Cooks-Companion-2004-Ed-Stephanie-Alexander/9781920989002

squeakygirl, May 3, 3:40am
I have a good Reader's Digest one. Will list it shortly.

bearskin, May 3, 3:45am
Or 'How to Cook' series of books by Delia Smith.

ribzuba, May 3, 5:11am

raewyn64, May 3, 5:45am
oh wow thanks everyone - you really are giving me some very good choices to look at further.

raewyn64, May 4, 2:19am
Hi all

I don’t even know if such a book exists but I am trying to find a book on cooking techniques I guess.I cook but I am not great at it and would love to know things like the contestants on MasterChef seem to know – things like what herbs go with what; how to prepare certain meats etc.
I would love it if there was a book that say you could turn to mince for an example. It would tell you what general different uses it has, how it can be cooked, what vegetables go well with it and what herbs go well with it.The same for example a lamb roast – how to prepare it, what herbs go well and what veges.
Then it would do the same with vegetables, which herbs and meats go well with that particular vege and how they can be cooked; and then the same with the herbs.

I have some techniques in some of my cookbooks but those books are more about the recipes.

It is all those helpful things that we get off the message boards here – like nutmeg goes well with pumpkin in soup – well I would not know that if it wasn’t for here.

Does anyone have any suggestions!It would be great if there was a NZ book as it would relate more to us and what we grow etc but anything to get me started.

Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions.

amazing_grace, May 4, 2:42am
Raewyn, where do you start!lots of recipe books have this info.Try Anabelle Langbeins books, they are pretty knowledgeable, esp on NZ stuff.Or some older Good Housekeeping books.I have one that I love, which is Cottage Garden cookbook by Christine Dann, an NZer, and it is a great little book

winnie231, May 4, 2:55am
The Cook's Companion by Stephanie Alexander.
This is the book you want . it's well worth the investment but if you find it too pricey, then look for it in your local library.
http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Books/Cooks-Companion-2004-Ed-Stephanie-Alexander/9781920989002

squeakygirl, May 4, 3:40am
I have a good Reader's Digest one. Will list it shortly.

ribzuba, May 4, 5:11am