Fish Pie

firob, May 2, 10:12pm
Would welcome a tasty fish pie recipe. Thanks

valentino, May 2, 10:41pm
Avery popular Fish pie and lately used Lemon Fish as being quite economical in price, one can use any good white fleshy fish.

This serves about 4 to 6.

Cook some potato for the mash topping, number to suit but about 4 medium size should suffice.
Whilst potato is cooking, preheat oven to 180c to 200c.
Into a good size pan over medium heat about 600 to 800 grams fish, 1 sliced leek, 2 small strips lemon peel, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 8 peppercorns, 2 bay leaves and some parsley. Add 2 and half cups of milk, bring slowly to boil then heat to slow and simmer for about 15 minutes or until leek is well cooked.
Strain liquid into a good size measuring jug, remove bay leaves and place remainder into an oven proof dish.
Melt 30g butter in pan, add a crushed-chopped garlic, another sliced leek, and either half onion chopped or some spring onions chopped, cook over low to medium heat until leeks softened, about 7 minutes. Remove half of mixture and mix into mashed potato.
With remaining half in pan, sprinkle 2 slightly heaped tablespoon flour over pan mixture, blend well by stirring all until smooth, measure reserved jug liquid and if need be make up with milk to just under 2 cups and add to pan mixture. Stir until mixture starts to bubble and thicken plus another minute.
Stir the sauce mixture through the fisn in dish, season all to taste with salt and pepper, add potato mixture and smooth over top of fish then either add some grated cheese or a sprinkle of about a tsp of paprika.
Bake for 20 to 30 minutes depoending on oven temp and serve.

Note, this can de done and once baking time is done, one can switch of the oven, leave the dish in oven for uo to 30 minutes before serving as initially, the pie is very hot.

Cheers.

pheebs1, May 2, 11:24pm
i dont care what anyone says a pie is not a pie without pastry , yum!
pastry bottom mash top
cheese sauce with my fish veges added after to cool it down lay hard boiled and halved eggs on bottom pour mix over pastry throw on the mash sprinkle cheese and a few knobs of butter bake 180 30 mins yum!

beaker59, May 2, 11:37pm
I use smoked fish from my own smoker Kahawai usually but any good smoked fish will do (some people even use tinned smoked fish but not me) flake half a kahawai (500g aprox) into the bottom of a pyrex dish add finely chopped fresh herbs like dill thyme corriander oregano whatever is looking best in the garden. a half cup or so of frozen peas or cooked brocolli or similar and 6 hard boiled quartered eggs (I boil them with the potatos for the mash) then pour over that a cup and a half of cheese sauce(call it bashamel for a fancy pie :) stir the mix in then pat down evenly your dish should be half full then cover with mash potato to level off the dish then sprinkle with cheese.

Bake this for 1/2 hour at 180 deg or until cheese has formed a crust and pie has heated well through. This is a favourite comfort food in this house and I have made a fair few of them lately.

valentino, Jul 24, 7:41pm
Bumping for use of leeks in a nice dish.

ballito, Jul 24, 11:40pm
I usually use a mixture of smoked fish, white fish, a few shrimps etc, hard boiled egs.Add this to a white sauce, top with mashed potato and cook until golden on top.

beaker59, Jul 25, 3:22am
There's something about hard boiled eggs in fish pie, you just have to have them.