Wild Duck recipes

Page 1 / 4
beaker59, May 2, 8:39am
Its my first season after the ducks we should get Mallards and maybe a few Parries as well.

Firstly how long before cooking do they need hanging?
the dressing plucking etc I am fine with but anything special to watch for or tips to make the plucking easier"

Then ideas for how to cook them I'm hoping for enough to try a few different methods so different styles would be good please :)

Can't wait til saturday :)

pennybikes, May 2, 9:41am
Leave hanging for a day or two.Pluck them by hand,chop the head,wings and feet off,singe with a gas torch and then cut from the bum up to the breast bone with a knife and pull the guts out.wash duck body in clean water.
Place in an oven bag and cook for 1.5 hrs on 180 degrees celsius.
Can also cut the skin down the breast bone and carefully carve the breast meat off the bone.
Can find heaps of recipies on the internet for wild duck.

lindylambchops1, May 2, 9:44am
Yummm...duck a la orange!

slugly1, May 2, 9:44am
get hold of the cookbook by Ducks unlimited .

beaker59, May 2, 10:23am
First I have to catch the duck ;)

beaker59, May 2, 10:29am
Are you saying hang undrawn?

southerngurl, May 2, 11:10am
god I can smell that now.. we used to get that job as kids.. the smell fo burning feathers and meths...

slugly1, May 2, 11:16am
Yip a small nail into a beam and push underside of bill through nail . Parries and geese usually breast them out without hanging .
4 and 1/2 sleeps to go ( no one sleeps well on the friday night ) . I wish you allHOT BARRELS GENTLEMEN .

beaker59, May 2, 12:09pm
Yeah we have a long drive Friday night then set up before the early start Sat morning yeah I usually breast out turkeys so familiar with that technich we also take thigs with the breasts so not much usable meat left EH! But am keen to try a few roasted too.

murdoc4, May 2, 8:50pm
Neighbor removes breast only and has them made into sausages and salami's - everybody raves over them at the road parties!

rainrain1, May 2, 9:35pm
to bake or roast, stuff with herbs and onion bread stuffing, lay bacon over top, warp in tinfoil.Serve with an orange salad

mackenzie2, May 2, 10:44pm
I stuff them with a basic bread/onion/mixed herb/milk stuffing and put them into an oven bag, and pour plum sauce over about 1/3 of a cup, then slow roast...

beaker59, May 2, 11:44pm
I was thinking something similar but in a covered roasting dish. I have lots of sage at the moment I think that might be nice I also have a very rich red plum jam so maybe a glaze of some form with that.

rainrain1, May 2, 11:46pm
Warp in tinfoil ha ha :-)sounds good eh?

beaker59, May 2, 11:47pm
I am definately going to try quick fried breast and also going to mince some for sausages depends how many if any I get really EH!

beaker59, May 2, 11:51pm
Dyslexia is the bain of my lyfe too :)
I have an aversion to using tinfoil as I really really loathe biting down on that little missed bit. As it is I am going to have to be extrordinarily careful to remove shot or my wife will find it for sure. I have a covered roasting dish for slow roasting which I think will be a better option for me.

rainrain1, May 3, 2:29am
You miss a bit of tinfoil and yet you're off to shoot ducks?Bet you miss :-)

beaker59, May 3, 3:40am
At least once, its guaranteed :-)

rainrain1, May 3, 5:34am
Confucious say duck who fly upside down will soon quack up

beaker59, May 3, 8:39am
Its my first season after the ducks we should get Mallards and maybe a few Parries as well.

Firstly how long before cooking do they need hanging!
the dressing plucking etc I am fine with but anything special to watch for or tips to make the plucking easier!

Then ideas for how to cook them I'm hoping for enough to try a few different methods so different styles would be good please :)

Can't wait til saturday :)

lindylambchops1, May 3, 9:44am
Yummm.duck a la orange!

beaker59, May 3, 10:29am
Are you saying hang undrawn!

southerngurl, May 3, 11:10am
god I can smell that now. we used to get that job as kids. the smell fo burning feathers and meths.

beaker59, May 3, 12:09pm
Yeah we have a long drive Friday night then set up before the early start Sat morning yeah I usually breast out turkeys so familiar with that technich we also take thighs with the breasts so not much usable meat left EH! But am keen to try a few roasted too.

murdoc4, May 3, 8:50pm
Neighbor removes breast only and has them made into sausages and salami's - everybody raves over them at the road parties!