Stirfry meat

davey49, May 2, 7:56am
I have 7kg of schnitzel to stirfry for 60 people.Easy ideas please.

samanya, May 2, 9:07am
wow,that's a lot.. don't overload the wok.. do it in small batches so that it sears rather than stews.

nzl99, May 2, 9:41pm
Wow is right!Hmmm... one of the tricks to stirfries is to have everything ready to go before you start cooking.Then have your wok hot enough.

I'd have several woks if possible and cook the meat in batches for about 30 seconds - 1 min, until JUST browned.Then set aside.Make sure the wok is upto tempreature again...

Anywho, are you after ideas for flavours you can add... or recipes...

marree, May 2, 10:14pm
Yes, definitely follow nzl99's advice - cooking in batches & ensuring extras (veges, spices etc) are prepped ready to go.7kg's - wow! - that's just over 100gm per person if catering for 60 - well done - add to that stir fry veges, a selection of breads - I think everyone will have full tum's & be very satisfied.Overall, I think an excellent & economical way to cater for a large group.Is this for a special occasion? - I hope so & that all goes well.

iriegirl, May 3, 2:07am
Have you thought of marinating your meat first? Just an idea but I find it gives a deeper flavour and can tenderise a cheaper cut of meat

davey49, May 3, 4:08am
Thanks for the tips but the problem is I don't have a wok.I'm doing cooking in a resthome so wouldn't be guaranteed they will all be satisfied!!!!!Thinking I will heat oil in big dish and then add meat to that in small amounts or maybe settle for beef stroganoff,maybe easier!!!!!

marree, May 3, 5:32am
Totally understand - can't please everyone with what you cook (and of course good to have all the necessary equipment).Perhaps beef strog may be a better / less stressful option - served with rice or mashed potatoes.

nzl99, May 3, 8:50am
Strog is a great idea ;-)

samanya, May 3, 9:07am
wow,that's a lot. don't overload the wok. do it in small batches so that it sears rather than stews.

nzl99, May 3, 9:41pm
Wow is right!Hmmm. one of the tricks to stirfries is to have everything ready to go before you start cooking.Then have your wok hot enough.

I'd have several woks if possible and cook the meat in batches for about 30 seconds - 1 min, until JUST browned.Then set aside.Make sure the wok is upto tempreature again.

Anywho, are you after ideas for flavours you can add. or recipes.

marree, May 3, 10:14pm
Yes, definitely follow nzl99's advice - cooking in batches & ensuring extras (veges, spices etc) are prepped ready to go.7kg's - wow! - that's just over 100gm per person if catering for 60 - well done - add to that stir fry veges, a selection of breads - I think everyone will have full tum's & be very satisfied.Overall, I think an excellent & economical way to cater for a large group.Is this for a special occasion! - I hope so & that all goes well.

iriegirl, May 4, 2:07am
Have you thought of marinating your meat first! Just an idea but I find it gives a deeper flavour and can tenderise a cheaper cut of meat

davey49, May 4, 4:08am
Thanks for the tips but the problem is I don't have a wok.I'm doing cooking in a resthome so wouldn't be guaranteed they will all be satisfied!Thinking I will heat oil in big dish and then add meat to that in small amounts or maybe settle for beef stroganoff,maybe easier!

marree, May 4, 5:32am
Totally understand - can't please everyone with what you cook (and of course good to have all the necessary equipment).Perhaps beef strog may be a better / less stressful option - served with rice or mashed potatoes.

guest, Mar 21, 2:27pm
Looking forward to tiryng the sauce recipe! Thanks.For your readers who've never done stir-fry before: it's important to cook the meat thoroughly in a separate batch all by itself to avoid getting raw meat on veggies. I usually cook the meat first, then remove it to a plate, then do all the veggies as you say, returning meat to the wok when veggies are cooked and ready to add sauce.

guest, Mar 24, 2:41am
Michelle - this looks delicious! Thanks for sharnig. I needed an inspiring (but simple) stir-fry recipe.P.S. The family ADORED the chocolate sprinkles recipe. Dh wants me to try rolling them in granulated sugar next time (like his mother always did, sigh). Thanks for the recipe.