Chinese Fried Rice

whypeata, May 2, 7:25am
Whats the secret to getting homemade taste like a takeaway shop?

cheese-mike, May 2, 7:39am
Add MSG....

maketuboy, May 2, 8:23am
I put chopped up omlette in mine, garlic, ginger and soy sauce.I always get comments on how yummy it tastes.

samanya, May 2, 9:05am
Everything that #3 does & a dash of sesame oil at the end.

n00dle, May 2, 9:50am
Yep - definitely try some sesame oil.

boarhunter5, May 2, 10:13am
Oyster sauce :)

whitehead., May 2, 10:18am
cook your rice and let it go cold first

lythande1, May 2, 7:32pm
Shop? I don't much like the shop stuff.
I just fry it all and at the end add a bit of soya sauce. Better in my opinion.

hestia, May 3, 5:16am
1) MSG. But some people do not like to use it.

2) Wok hei. Use a well seasoned wok, and oil which is able to take high heat. Using high heat, heat the wok first, before heating the oil, and the fry the ingredients.

Here is a demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L3RE-NVjo4

The only seasonings which he uses is sugar, salt and soy sauce. If you use the correct technique, then there is no need to use ginger or garlic or oyster sauce or sesame oil.

hestia, May 3, 5:17am
From Wikipedia, an explanation of wok hei:

"Wok hei is the flavour, tastes, and "essence" imparted by a hot wok on food during stir frying. It is particularly important for Chinese dishes requiring high heat for fragrance such as char kuay teow and beef chow fun.

To impart wok hei, the food must be cooked in a wok over a high flame while being stirred and tossed quickly. For this reason it requires cooking over an open flame rather than an electric stove. In practical terms, the flavour imparted by chemical compounds results from caramelization, Maillard reactions, and the partial combustion of oil that come from charring and searing of the food at very high heat in excess of 200 °C (392 °F). Aside from flavour, there is also the texture of the cooked items and smell involved that describes wok hei."

bbq-bro, May 3, 5:19am
thats why its hard to get the exact taste...yaa normal oven at home dont pump out enough heat/flame like their hobs do in the takeaways

whypeata, May 3, 7:25am
Whats the secret to getting homemade taste like a takeaway shop!

cheese-mike, May 3, 7:39am
Add MSG.

whypeata, May 3, 8:03am
Yip I've watched them add powder type something when cooking at a takeaway shop and wondered if it was MSG but could well be salt/sugar.Yum will have another go this weekend with the wok on the bbq ring maybe?thanks all for your help.

gear_box, May 3, 11:06am
I was at a Chinese shop and they asked me if I wanted msg or not, just like when you order fish n chips "salt?"

lythande1, May 3, 7:32pm
Shop! I don't much like the shop stuff.
I just fry it all and at the end add a bit of soya sauce. Better in my opinion.

hestia, May 4, 5:16am
1) MSG. But some people do not like to use it.

2) Wok hei. Use a well seasoned wok, and oil which is able to take high heat. Using high heat, heat the wok first, before heating the oil, and then fry the ingredients.

Here is a demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=_L3RE-NVjo4

The only seasonings which he uses is sugar, salt and soy sauce. If you use the correct technique, then there is no need to use ginger or garlic or oyster sauce or sesame oil.

bbq-bro, May 4, 5:19am
thats why its hard to get the exact taste.yaa normal oven at home dont pump out enough heat/flame like their hobs do in the takeaways

whypeata, May 4, 8:03am
Yip I've watched them add powder type something when cooking at a takeaway shop and wondered if it was MSG but could well be salt/sugar.Yum will have another go this weekend with the wok on the bbq ring maybe!thanks all for your help.

gear_box, May 4, 11:06am
I was at a Chinese shop and they asked me if I wanted msg or not, just like when you order fish n chips "salt!"