Ideas to do with a bucket of lemons received?

Page 1 / 2
bev00, Apr 24, 9:43am
cpmpliments of buzzy
LEMON PICKLE
3 Lemons - washed and thinly sliced
1 small Onion -finely sliced
2 tspns Vegetable Oil
1 tspn Salt
1 tspn Chilli Flakes,
¾ cup Caster Sugar,
1 cup White Wine Vinegar
Method
1 Blanch lemons three times in pots of boiling water
2 In a heavy based pot on low heat, sweat the onions until transparent
3 Add chilli and cook for 3 minutes being careful not to let it brown
4 Add lemon, sugar and vinegar, bring to the boil and gently cook for 1/2 hour until syrupy
5 Pour into sterilised jars
6 Makes around 400-500 mls (I think)

buzzy110 (63 ) 5:45 pm, Mon 30 Aug #5

:

Quotejessie981 (56 )11:29 am, Thu 21 Apr #3
Processor Lemon Marmalade

500g lemons
1.5 cups water
660g sugar

Quarter lemons, discard seeds. Chop lemons finely in processor or blender. Place into deep dish with water, cook in microwave on HIGH 10 minutes or until lemon rind is tender. Stir in sugar, cook on HIGH 18 minutes or until jam jells when tested on cold saucer; stir occasionally during cooking. Stand 5 minutes before pouring into hot sterilised jars, seal when cold.

Makes about 2 cups

Edited by cookessentials at 11:31 am, Thu 21 Apr

Quotecookessentials (1198 )11:30 am, Thu 21 Apr #4
Thank you cookessentials and jessie981 for your fast help. Could I please have that peach and lemon chutney recipe too please

Quotedalkemade (150 )11:35 am, Thu 21 Apr #5
PEACH AND LEMON CHUTNEY
6 black peppercorns
4 small dried red chillies
2 cloves
1 cinnamon stick
750g pitted,chopped peaches
3 medium onions,chopped
2 cups soft brown sugar, firmly packed
2 cups malt vinegar
1 cup sultanas
3 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp grated lemon rind
1/4 cup lemon juice.

Tie peppercorns,chillies,cloves and cinnamon stick in a piece of muslin. Combine muslin bag, peaches, onions, sugar, vinegar,sultanas,ginger,garlic-
-
, rind and juice in a large saucepan. Stir over heat, without boiling until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil, simmer, uncovered,stirring occasionally for about 1 1/2 hours or until mixture is thick. Discard muslin bag and pour into hot,sterilised jars; seal when cold. Makes about 4 cups.

Quotecookessentials (1198 )11:44 am, Thu 21 Apr #6
Quotejessie981 (56 )5:30 pm, Thu 21 Apr #10
Have you tried preserved lemons! Great for so many recipes. Just, top tail, quarter, layer with salt, squish in a sealable jar, tightly, top with lemon juice. leave for 3 weeks min. Top up as used with oil. Should last chilled and sealed in fridge about 2-3 years. Flavour only increases. A base for many recipes.

Quotechinju (416 )

whypeata, May 2, 7:27am
Don't want to waste them - and if I preserve them what do I do with them?

twobitcares, May 2, 7:34am
marmalade (although I hate it!)Use them in drinks - we do both hot and cold, just squeeze into water. It helps with weight loss too. We sometimes make mojitos and substitute the limes for lemons.Lemon meringue pie (no good for the weight though haha)

ant_sonja, May 2, 7:40am
You could simply squeeze the juice & freeze in small portions for later use (ice cube trays work well for that) - the zest freezes ok too or peel them and dehydrate the skin for use in other dishes later on.

radark, May 2, 7:47am
preserve them.....great to add to salads and stews and things...

whypeata, May 2, 8:00am
Thanks for ideas yum yum - was thinking about lemon cordial - anybody have a good recipe?

beautifulflower, May 2, 8:06am
my cows love eating lemons

bams1, May 2, 8:09am
make some lemon honey , freeze the juice , make marmalade, make a a lazy lemon pie, lemon cake ....................

luvwine, May 2, 8:10am
make limoncello!!!

dlmckay, May 2, 8:15am
This recipe makes the nicest lemon cake EVER
http://www.grouprecipes.com/14998/delicious-lemon-cake.html

kiwibubbles, May 2, 9:02am
make lemon cordial, limoncello, lemon curd, a jar of preserved lemons. All that stuff lasts ages :)

sqiff, May 2, 9:12am
I have made this LemonSyrup up ever since the recipe was given to me by my sister in law years ago. It goes down a treat.
6 Lemons
3lb Sugar
1 Tbspn Epsom Salts
1 Tbspn Tartaric Acid
1 Tbspn Citric acid
8 large cups boiling water
Use the juice of all the lemons and rind fromonly 4. Mix all together in a bowl and stir till sugar is dissolved. Cool then bottle.

kylina426, May 2, 9:24am
I have made lemon drink for years.

For every cup of lemon juice, I dissolve about 3/4 of a cup - 1 cup (depending on how much of a sweet tooth you have) of sugar in a cup of boiling water. When the sugar is dissolved and the syrup has cooled slightly, I put in a cup of lemon juice. Pour into glass bottles and freeze until needed.

You only need a small amount in a glass and fill it up with water. Brilliant for when the kids have a cold or the flu made up with warm water to soothe their throats. I like it made with hot water instead of tea/ coffee. Hope this is of some use!

lanks5, May 2, 10:03am
...give them back.........

nzl99, May 2, 9:37pm
HA!I'm glad someone else said it... that was my first thought too.

Preserved lemons would make beautiful gifts for people... buy some nice jars, make some labels... make sure to give a jar to the person who gave you the lemons... and one to me...

valentino, May 2, 10:52pm
One can Freeze them, ideal for cooking with later as one needs them.

beaker59, May 2, 11:29pm
I found they kept better on the tree, just a thought?

whypeata, May 3, 7:27am
Don't want to waste them - and if I preserve them what do I do with them!

radark, May 3, 7:47am
preserve them.great to add to salads and stews and things.

whypeata, May 3, 7:49am
would love to keep them on the tree if I had one here in Central Otago but these were a gift from Marlborough......syrup sounds great, and lemon cake, also lemon curd.... yum yum ....not sure what lemoncillo is so will google it !! = thanks for all your ideas - cheers

whypeata, May 3, 8:00am
Thanks for ideas yum yum - was thinking about lemon cordial - anybody have a good recipe!

antoniab, May 3, 8:03am
Mmmm preserve them - we have a big jar that we use all the time for in morrocan dishes. Preserved with salt, water, bay leaves and cinnamon quills - jamie oliver has th recipe we used online :)

bams1, May 3, 8:09am
make some lemon honey , freeze the juice , make marmalade, make a a lazy lemon pie, lemon cake .

luvwine, May 3, 8:10am
make limoncello!

whypeata, May 3, 8:23am
Well I've searched it and I WILL DEFINITELY BE HAVING A GO.... perfect winter treat I say!