Cooking with baked beans?

bunny11, May 1, 8:52pm
hi all, i seem to have acquired quite a few cans of baked beans... and i have to say they are not my fave tucker, straight out of the can! a few years ago i had a soup recipe which had bacon, mushrooms, cabbage, corn, tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage and baked beans in it (and one or two other things- i forget just what!) and it was surprisingly good, for all that it sounds like an unlikely combination! ive lost the recipe, so if anyone recognises it and can fill in the gaps, id love to have the recipe back in its entirety... also keen for any other recipes to transform baked beans, a google search did not come up with much but im sure the tm community can! cheers...

margyr, May 1, 9:05pm
I just read this one this morning, and it sounds tasty, posted by another trader.BEEF AND BEAN CASSEROLE

2 tbsp butter
750g minced steak ( I use premium mince)
1 lge onion,finely chopped
1x 425g can of chopped tomatoes
1 cup hot beef stock ( I use a Maggi Beef stock dissolved in boiling water)
125g pasta - I use the curly pasta-often the tri-colour
1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 tsp chilli powder ( I use about half as it can be pretty hot with 1tsp)
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce ( Lea & Perrins if you have it)
1x can baked beans

Melt butter in large saucepan (I use my smaller stock pot) and brown the meat and onion. Stir in all the remaining ingredients except the baked beans. Mix together well and simmer with lid on for 30 mins or so,stirring occasionally. Add a little more water if necessary. When pasta is tender and meat is cooked, add the baked beans and stire through. Heat through gently and serve.
cookessentials (1156 )6:43 am, Mon 2 May #3

rainrain1, May 1, 9:23pm
Make a chilli con carne with them (no meat)

korbo, May 1, 9:32pm
My favourite when first married was, fry some onion and little bit of chopped bacon, mash some spuds,3 hardboiled eggs, chopped up.
put spud on bottom of dish, put the chopped up egg, then tip in the baked beans, then the other stuff, sprinkle 1 tblsp (no more) of worces sauce on the beans,and grated cheese on top. put in oven..180 for about 15-20 mins.
different but rather tasty.

vonkrum, May 1, 9:50pm
Baked Bean Hash.You put hash browns to line a dish, pour over the baked beans,, then pour over the beaten egg and sprinkle with bacon andcheese. Bake until golden.Yummy.You could put whatever you liked though to this.Great for a brunch or with a salad in summer.

pom-pom, May 2, 8:42am
Chuck them in with the mince for shepherd's pie - it makes the meal go further and you don't really notice them!

bunny11, May 2, 8:45am
thanks for the suggestions everyone!

fronta1, May 2, 9:02am
chuck them in a blender and puree - then use the puree to layer between lasagne.Its delicous!

bunny11, May 2, 8:52pm
hi all, i seem to have acquired quite a few cans of baked beans. and i have to say they are not my fave tucker, straight out of the can! a few years ago i had a soup recipe which had bacon, mushrooms, cabbage, corn, tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage and baked beans in it (and one or two other things- i forget just what!) and it was surprisingly good, for all that it sounds like an unlikely combination! ive lost the recipe, so if anyone recognises it and can fill in the gaps, id love to have the recipe back in its entirety. also keen for any other recipes to transform baked beans, a google search did not come up with much but im sure the tm community can! cheers.

korbo, May 2, 9:32pm
My favourite when first married was, fry some onion and little bit of chopped bacon, mash some spuds,3 hardboiled eggs, chopped up.
put spud on bottom of dish, put the chopped up egg, then tip in the baked beans, then the other stuff, sprinkle 1 tblsp (no more) of worces sauce on the beans,and grated cheese on top. put in oven.180 for about 15-20 mins.
different but rather tasty.

pom-pom, May 3, 8:42am
Chuck them in with the mince for shepherd's pie - it makes the meal go further and you don't really notice them!