Batter for fish???

Page 1 / 2
omokoroa1, May 1, 3:22am
anybody got a quick basic and easy recipe

horseyokel98, May 1, 3:32am
1 cup flour, 1teasp salt and enough beer to make the right consistency(about 2/3 of a bottle)

juice6, May 1, 6:45am
1 cup self raising flour, 1 cup cold water and 1 teaspoon white vinegar.Put in fridge few mins before using.

fisher, May 1, 7:21am
Juice6 .. is onto it... can add a little lemon pepper if wanted but not too much...
and cold soda water is also good...

raewyn64, May 1, 10:09pm
Hi Omokoroa1 (I am just down the raod in Whaka!)
Anyway I have been making a fish batter as above with flour, baking powder, water and a dash of vinegar.Whisk it all up until it is the right consistancy. Then I have been shallow frying it as I don't have a deep fryer. I just use my frypan and put enough oil in to cover the bottom plus a bit more and then put the fish in that and turn it over after a couple of minutes.It has been coming out really well and I just make some overn baked potato wedges, add some sour cream to the wedges and some tartare sauce to the fish and just perfect - really yummy!
Thanks to the ladies on the board here for the recipe and tips on frying.

omokoroa1, May 1, 10:16pm
hello all
i have never tried batter with the vinegar........im goin to do it right now have a bit of fish left over from yesterday so ill make up a batter and try............yup tis a day for soul food and blobbing out ............oh by the way does it have to be white vinegar? can i use any other or just that?

thank you

fisher, May 2, 12:41am
once you have made up the batter... dredge your fish in cornflour first, dust off and then into the batter.. fry/deepfry as usual...

pericles, May 2, 12:44am
Beer Batter Recipe
Before you start, drink one beer to check for quality. Good, isn’t it? Now go ahead.

Ingredients

1 case beer
1 cups flour
2 large eggs
1 onion
salt and pepper
fish
deep fryer
oil

Method

Get a shallow bowl, fork, salt, pepper, etc. Drink another beer. It must be just right. To be sure beer is of the highest quality, drink another beer as fast as you can. Repeat.

With fork, mix flour in a large fluffy bowl. Add 1 seaspoon of satl and imx again. Meanwhile, make sure that the beer is of the finest quality– drink another one. Add 2 arge leggs, 2 pinchers of epperp and mix till high. If yeg golk gets stuck in fork, just scrape it loose with a drewscriver. Drink another beer, checking for tonscisticity.

Next sift 3 cups of pepper or salt (it really doesn’t matter which). Drink antoher reeb. Sift 1/2. Fold in chopped oninions and one babblespoon of bree, or whatever liquid you can find if you don’t want to waste beer. Wix mell. Have another beeber.

Pour oil in turn and fry deep fater to higher. Dump ifsh into miexd tabber. Now dropped fillettettes into feep dat rfyer and kooc. Drink the rest of the beer, plug unfry ther and bo to ged.

beaker59, May 2, 12:55am
Don't drink and fry

raewyn64, May 2, 2:29am
Omokoroa1 - how did it come out? I use dark vinegar and I forgot to mention the dipping in flour before the batter.

omokoroa1, May 2, 3:33am
hey raewyn....yes made it i floured the fish (fisher) but with plain flour wasnt till after i seen the post to use cornflour
yes batter turned out good ....but i didnt have any white vinegar i only had cider so i still made it anyway
crispyand light ..........had no complaints from the house cheers for that you lot
just a qik question ...........why cornflour rather than plain flour for dusting?............just curious thank you again

fisher, May 2, 7:21am
Juice6 . is onto it. can add a little lemon pepper if wanted but not too much.
and cold soda water is also good.

raewyn64, May 2, 10:09pm
Hi Omokoroa1 (I am just down the raod in Whaka!)
Anyway I have been making a fish batter as above with flour, baking powder, water and a dash of vinegar.Whisk it all up until it is the right consistancy. Then I have been shallow frying it as I don't have a deep fryer. I just use my frypan and put enough oil in to cover the bottom plus a bit more and then put the fish in that and turn it over after a couple of minutes.It has been coming out really well and I just make some oven baked potato wedges, add some sour cream to the wedges and some tartare sauce to the fish and just perfect - really yummy!
Thanks to the ladies on the board here for the recipe and tips on frying.

omokoroa1, May 2, 10:16pm
hello all
i have never tried batter with the vinegar.im goin to do it right now have a bit of fish left over from yesterday so ill make up a batter and try.yup tis a day for soul food and blobbing out .oh by the way does it have to be white vinegar! can i use any other or just that!

thank you

fisher, May 3, 12:41am
once you have made up the batter. dredge your fish in cornflour first, dust off and then into the batter. fry/deepfry as usual.

pericles, May 3, 12:44am
Beer Batter Recipe
Before you start, drink one beer to check for quality. Good, isn’t it! Now go ahead.

Ingredients

1 case beer
1 cups flour
2 large eggs
1 onion
salt and pepper
fish
deep fryer
oil

Method

Get a shallow bowl, fork, salt, pepper, etc. Drink another beer. It must be just right. To be sure beer is of the highest quality, drink another beer as fast as you can. Repeat.

With fork, mix flour in a large fluffy bowl. Add 1 seaspoon of satl and imx again. Meanwhile, make sure that the beer is of the finest quality– drink another one. Add 2 arge leggs, 2 pinchers of epperp and mix till high. If yeg golk gets stuck in fork, just scrape it loose with a drewscriver. Drink another beer, checking for tonscisticity.

Next sift 3 cups of pepper or salt (it really doesn’t matter which). Drink antoher reeb. Sift 1/2. Fold in chopped oninions and one babblespoon of bree, or whatever liquid you can find if you don’t want to waste beer. Wix mell. Have another beeber.

Pour oil in turn and fry deep fater to higher. Dump ifsh into miexd tabber. Now dropped fillettettes into feep dat rfyer and kooc. Drink the rest of the beer, plug unfry ther and bo to ged.

beaker59, May 3, 12:55am
Don't drink and fry

raewyn64, May 3, 2:29am
Omokoroa1 - how did it come out! I use dark vinegar and I forgot to mention the dipping in flour before the batter.

omokoroa1, May 3, 3:33am
hey raewyn.yes made it i floured the fish (fisher) but with plain flour wasnt till after i seen the post to use cornflour
yes batter turned out good .but i didnt have any white vinegar i only had cider so i still made it anyway
crispyand light .had no complaints from the house cheers for that you lot
just a qik question .why cornflour rather than plain flour for dusting!.just curious thank you again

whypeata, May 3, 8:11am
yum....thinking this would be a good oyster recipe also???....Raewyn64 can you share your frying tips???

raewyn64, May 3, 8:36am
gosh whypeata usually it is me asking the questions on this message board - feeling very proud someone has a question for me lol.

Anyway I guess it would do oysters - I don't eat them so don't do anything with them.
But what I did was mixed 1 cup plain flowr with 1.5tsp baking powder and 1 tsp of brown vinegar and then water until it became the right consistancy where it dripped off the spoon.
I heated my frypan with about 3-5mm depth of oil in it - I just used cooking oil nothing fancy. Then dipped the pieces of fish into flour and then into the batter then frypan. Probably left it for about 3 or so minutes then flipped it over and cooked the other side. The batter fluffs up and spreads a bit due to the baking powder.
I had to top up the oil in the frypan a couple of times and also watched the consistancy of the batter and thin in a bit if need be with some more water.
That was it - just watch also the heat of the frypan, if the batter is burning before the fish is cooked then turn the heat down a bit. I then had the oven on and put the cooked fish in there as I was doing the next batch of fish in the pan.

I hope that makes sense and helps.

whypeata, May 3, 9:44am
Hey thanks raewyn64 .... well just whipped up the oysters and I must say YUM YUMit is just so crispy and think it will be devine with fish......my only question is what am I doing wrong.. (this is not criticism just a question with regard to a problem I often get with fish batters).... I felt it was rather greasy and soaked up all the oil....is there a secret to this do you know...Im thinking is it it the oil temperature?

raewyn64, May 3, 7:59pm
I am by no means an expert cook in any way so not probably the right person to help you, but I would suggest as soon as you take them out of the frypan put them on to some layers of paper towels and maybe that will soak up the oil that is sitting in the batter - whereas if you just put them in a dish in the oven to keep warm like I do the oil will continue to sit in the batter? you could also try using less oil and see how it goes. Also I cut up my fish into more nugget size so I get about 4 pieces in my frypan at one time so the oil sort of gets spread around.
Just some ideas for you to try?
But I am pleased it came out ok for you.

amazing_grace, May 3, 8:30pm
I usually put one bottle of beer into a bowl and add enough plain flour to make a good thickish consistency, then deep fry.

whypeata, May 4, 8:11am
yum.thinking this would be a good oyster recipe also!.Raewyn64 can you share your frying tips!