Going Dairy Free - What can i eat and what other

happymum1, Apr 29, 1:32am
ive just been told i have to try going dairy free for a month , any ideas ive got the soy milk and yoghurt.what other names apart from milk products and dairy do i have to avoid

cgvl, Apr 29, 1:50am
check out the vegan cheese. you will also need to read labels on all foods as some contain milk or milk products. eg whey is one.

happymum1, Apr 29, 1:53am
thank you i will look for the whey as well, i wasnt sure, vegan cheese is that like tofu?

buzzy110, Apr 29, 5:15am
Anything with casein, milk solids, whey and chocolate unless you can be certain it isn't made with milk. Don't confuse chocolate with cocoa.

Is it the lactose or the casein you are having trouble with?

ppppaula, Apr 29, 5:38am
from memory, olivani is the only marge-like spread that is dairy free - well it used to be anyway but there may be others available now. I agree with above...read all labels!

I am supposed to be dairy free and have lapsed of late but I actually found it easier just to avoid cheese/yoghurt type things and not bother substituting with the soy etc dairy free versions if that makes sense - especially if it is only for a month.

frances1266, Apr 29, 8:10am
Nuttalex margarine and also one or two generic brands from the supermarket are dairy free..
The Safe Cruelty Free shop in St Kevin's Arcade has a good selection of dairy free products. Also IE Produce has dairy free cheeses.

happymum1, Apr 29, 9:26am
so can i eat cocoa just not chocolate is that right thansk everyone

stjimmy, Apr 29, 9:49am
... Whittakers dark chocolate - above 62% generally doesn't have dairy in it. Check the ingredients. Some Lindt dark is also dairy free.

Most of the cheap spreads are dairy free - eg Pams, budget, sunrise. You don't need to spend lots of money to be dairy free.

Yoghurt is still dairy. Soy yoghurt is generally quite sweet unless you get the TONZU plain yoghurt... it tastes pretty foul and is very lumpy but if you shake it vigorously and add fruit and honey you should be ok.

Check sausages - many contain dairy - milk protein, cheese powder, whey protein, etc.

Vogels and other breads often have milk protein in them.

Salt and Vinegar chips, salsa and jalapeno chips often have cheese powder or milk solids.

On the plus side, Cadbury hot chocolate mix is dairy free!!! :) So are marshmallows!

... Good luck. I've been trying to be dairy free for over 5 years due to being dairy intolerant. I have lapses every now and then and I pay for it!

dafing, Apr 29, 9:55am
Hi Happymum1,

Try contacting your local Vegan Society :-)

Living in Auckland?try

http://aucklandvegan.wordpress.com/ General recipes, news articles etc, my friend Barbaras site is hard to beat! :-) http://veganacious.com/

More information about Veganism for ethical reasons can be found at

http://www.abolitionistapproach.com/

Its not at all difficult to "read labels" once every now and then, basically, if they contain milk taken from cows, it will say as such on the back, "contains milk".

Best wishes :-)

jcprotea, Apr 29, 10:02am
Olivani is dairy free and is really nice. Also on special at Foodtown at the moment I think until Sunday.

twindizzy, Apr 29, 10:30pm
Ploughmans, Molenberg and Freya's mixed soy and linseed are safe.
Cadbury drinking Choc is ok as are Arnotts 'Nice' biscuits and Lindt dark Choc.

buzzy110, Apr 29, 11:44pm
Olive oil is dairy free and goes good on bread, etc. Just remember to add some salt to it. A good cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil is also additive free, unlike imitation dairy spreads - i.e. not colours, flavour enhancers, anti foaming agents and solvents (to make fat and water combine), etc.

buzzy110, Apr 29, 11:47pm
I was reading a label on tofu the other day. It contains hydrogenated palm oil to help it set and stop it from foaming. You certainly do not want hydrogenated anything if you care about your long term heart health so maybe, before buying soya bean based cheese it would be a good idea to see what they are using for the fat content. I bet, if it has any fat in it at all, it is palm oil and to make it solid it needs to be hydrogenated.

ppppaula, Apr 30, 7:03am
Interesting comment re Palm Oil buzzyand apolgies for going off on a tangent...I have a real bee in my bonnet about palm oil after doing a huge amount of research over the last 10 years for my husbands' health (he has MS). One of my books is from the 50s and says to avoid palm oil like the plague...all the media comments I seem to read only seem to think that it is bad due to the envioronmental impact and they never seem to mention heart health! If a label does not specify what type of vegetable oil is used, I just won't buy it. Rant over!!

On the dairy free front, again,my memory may be failing me but I seem to remember Richfields dark choc is also be dairy free...just in case you don't like Whittakers!

pom-pom, Apr 30, 7:24am
When baking using any milk (soy, rice, oat etc) works fine in most cases. Just substitute measure for measure. I use soy for pancakes, yorkshire puds, muffins, biscuits and porridge and noone can taste the difference!

adelin, Aug 11, 5:44am
Sweet William chocolate is dairy free ind dark and white. Found it at paknsav in the gluten/dairy free aisle. They've got biscuits, cake and slice mixes, breads etc there as well. Countdown has a brand 'free from' which is gluten, dairy,lactose, egg free. I get the oreo type cookies which are yummy and easy to digest. Watch out for takeaways.. they're silent killers. dairy in mash, gravy, soups canned, container and pkt. Buy from the online cruelty free shops or make ur own then stash in freezer. hope it helps. :)